Buttermilk From Nov 18 - Still Ok To Use?

Baking By tsal Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 10:05am by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 5

I just opened and used buttermilk that had a best before date of nov 18. Don't ask me how this slipped by the radar and I didn't notice that I had a full unused buttermilk in my fridge!

I'm trying out a new recipe, so this cake is not intended for anyone other than my immediate family. Buttermilk always smells a little wonky, right?

Should I throw out the cake when it comes out of the oven or can I try s bite if it looks ok?

*sigh* It's one of those days...

4 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 12:37am
post #2 of 5

I'd say it's ok if it's never been open and that date is for store use as they can only keep it on the shelf but so long. I have a quart in my fridge now that's not open and the date was Nov 2

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 5

I use buttermilk all the time and it frequently sits in the fridge for longer than the expiration date..sometimes a couple weeks longer!

It smells off if it's bad, and separates...pour some in the sink and if it's still creamy it's fine. If you have liquid on top and a clump of solids at the bottom it's not. Buttermilk stays good forever for some reason!! icon_wink.gif

HTH!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 9:09am
post #4 of 5

When my buttermilk gets close to the expiration date, I freeze it. I bought 12 silicone cupcake liners. They are 1/4 cup each. I put them on a cookie tray, fill, freeze, and transfer to a freezer bag. They are in perfect condition for baking.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:05am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I used it and ate the cake last night and am ok this morning! icon_smile.gif

I will freeze it next time though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%