Corporate Cake

Business By harveybw Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm by harveybw

harveybw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harveybw Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked by a friend's sister if I would do a cake for her company for a press event. The cake will be an 18"x18" scrabble board cake and have the company logo on the sides of the cake. I told them I would require full payment as the cake is due in 11 days time. She is now saying that payment comes from head office and she is not sure if she can pay me in advance icon_confused.gif The problem is this cake will cost quite a lot to make and will be quite time consuming for me. I don't want to start this cake without payment but if If they mess me about much longer I won't have time to do it. What would you experienced peeps do?

8 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 9

Do you have a contract with your cakes? I can say that in the past if there is a contract drawn up and signed than everyone knows what is expected before anyone looses any money and for this reason (yours) is the reason I started using one. They are expensive and it does take alot of time. I would let her know this is how it's gonna be, don't let someone else dictate the way you want to do your business, I have turned down a few in my day, it kills me but I know if they really want it than they will figure it our. Also watch out about putting names and logos (like scrabble) on things you are selling could lead to some liability/patton issues! If it is being sold for profit. hth

harveybw Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 9

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, very helpful icon_biggrin.gif You're right I need to stick to my guns and run my business my way icon_wink.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 9

Harvey,
This is a copy of a contract found hear on cc. It appears to be very thorough.
I hope this helps!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1412652.html

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 2:16am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Harvey,
This is a copy of a contract found hear on cc. It appears to be very thorough.
I hope this helps!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1412652.html

I have also seen the one that is on Duff's page that is pretty thorough may help you with other ideas of your own.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 9

While I completely agree that you need to "run my business my way" you may need to be prepared to lose out on this order. In my job I wouldn't be able to use a vendor who needed to be paid up front. My accounting department has policies that we can't break. If I sold cakes, I would insist on being paid up front so I wouldn't be able to do business with my employer. Neither side is right or wrong, just not a good fit to work together.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:33am
post #7 of 9

Sometimes corporate is corporate, and they pay vendors once a month. If they have a set policy you might have to just accept it and get paid on their schedule.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:54am
post #8 of 9

As someone who worked in accounts payable in a corporate environment, I agree its a lot more involved than just "writing a check".

However ....... surely someone in the company has a company expense account with a company credit card they could pay with, and then they turn it in to accounting and THEY get the check later? (oh wait .... if you take credit cards, of course.)

harveybw Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys for all the replies and helpful advice, much appreciated icon_biggrin.gif I have decided to make a start on the cake anyway icon_smile.gif At least I now know what to expect with regard to payment when dealing with corporate cakes icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%