Need Help Making A Gumpaste Teacup

Decorating By eringm Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm by eringm

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am attempting to make a gumpaste teacup. I read on here to put shortening on the outside of a cup and cover with gumpaste then let it dry. I attempted this but when I tried to take it off it just cracks. icon_sad.gif Am I supposed to take it off before it dries? What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have anymore tips for me? HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

6 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

This is a thread discussing how to make teacups. Using cornstarch seems to be the answer, not shortening and then put your gumpaste inside the cup.

I would think your gumpaste would stick to the shortening which would cause the breaking of the cup when trying to remove it, but it wouldn't stick to the cornstarch.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6168123-.html&sid=f2e399c7cf491f7bef7e1fd5a6675f51

HTH... icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I wish I'd have found the instructions for making a teacup last spring. I tried everything, then ended up using the mini wonder pan (the small princess version that does 4 cakes). I only filled the pan with enough batter to make a teacup size cake, then just covered that with fondant. It was just the shape I needed, and suprisingly, without having to trim the cake itself, it stood up perfectly without tipping over; though I did push down slightly on it once I applied the fondant.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

I have a few teacups and saucers in my pics. I used one of my own teacups and greased the inside with crisco, I cut a circle of gumpaste wider than the rim of the cup and let it droop down into the cup. What I do is spin the gumpaste in the cup every once in a while so it doesnt get stuck, then once it dries, I slowly push it up all around the rim til it releases, I do the same thing with the saucers, I keep spinning the gumpaste around every so often until it is finally dry and its not stuck to the plate.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 7

I have a few teacups and saucers in my pics. I used one of my own teacups and greased the inside with crisco, I cut a circle of gumpaste wider than the rim of the cup and let it droop down into the cup. What I do is spin the gumpaste in the cup every once in a while so it doesnt get stuck, then once it dries, I slowly push it up all around the rim til it releases, I do the same thing with the saucers, I keep spinning the gumpaste around every so often until it is finally dry and its not stuck to the plate.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 7

Terrific tutorial here from Jacque Benson -

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/search/label/teacup%20tutorial

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the all the tips! I will attempt another teacup today and let you know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif [/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%