Need Help Making A Gumpaste Teacup

Decorating By eringm Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm by eringm

eringm Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am attempting to make a gumpaste teacup. I read on here to put shortening on the outside of a cup and cover with gumpaste then let it dry. I attempted this but when I tried to take it off it just cracks. icon_sad.gif Am I supposed to take it off before it dries? What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have anymore tips for me? HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

6 replies
srkmilklady Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

This is a thread discussing how to make teacups. Using cornstarch seems to be the answer, not shortening and then put your gumpaste inside the cup.

I would think your gumpaste would stick to the shortening which would cause the breaking of the cup when trying to remove it, but it wouldn't stick to the cornstarch.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6168123-.html&sid=f2e399c7cf491f7bef7e1fd5a6675f51

HTH... icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I wish I'd have found the instructions for making a teacup last spring. I tried everything, then ended up using the mini wonder pan (the small princess version that does 4 cakes). I only filled the pan with enough batter to make a teacup size cake, then just covered that with fondant. It was just the shape I needed, and suprisingly, without having to trim the cake itself, it stood up perfectly without tipping over; though I did push down slightly on it once I applied the fondant.

bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

I have a few teacups and saucers in my pics. I used one of my own teacups and greased the inside with crisco, I cut a circle of gumpaste wider than the rim of the cup and let it droop down into the cup. What I do is spin the gumpaste in the cup every once in a while so it doesnt get stuck, then once it dries, I slowly push it up all around the rim til it releases, I do the same thing with the saucers, I keep spinning the gumpaste around every so often until it is finally dry and its not stuck to the plate.

bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 7

I have a few teacups and saucers in my pics. I used one of my own teacups and greased the inside with crisco, I cut a circle of gumpaste wider than the rim of the cup and let it droop down into the cup. What I do is spin the gumpaste in the cup every once in a while so it doesnt get stuck, then once it dries, I slowly push it up all around the rim til it releases, I do the same thing with the saucers, I keep spinning the gumpaste around every so often until it is finally dry and its not stuck to the plate.

ibmoser Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 7

Terrific tutorial here from Jacque Benson -

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/search/label/teacup%20tutorial

eringm Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the all the tips! I will attempt another teacup today and let you know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif [/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%