How Do I Get Smooth Coverage Over Rkt And Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 8:46pm by UpAt2am

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I'd like to make a standing Santa or Elf for a children's party at our church. I've seen many many pics of figures like this and am looking for advice on how to make one without the lumps and bumps and 'where' to add cake?

In general I understand the process to be as follows:
1. create frame using food safe pvc/water pipes or other
2. add RKT
3. add butter cream (crusting or not?) or royal icing - but how much??? enough to coat and smooth or just enough to lightly cover to hold the RKT together/harden them in place?
4. add modeling chocolate and smooth with fingers - do you add modeling chocolate to ALL parts or just in some areas (limbs, face etc?)
5. add fondant OVER modeling chocolate or cake parts

Is this basically correct and what contributes to lumps and bumps and what do you do to avoid them?

Also is it best to make the figure all in RKT and modeling chocolate and just have the figure standing on a cake that can be served or can I incorporate cake into the torso? which do folks prefer?

I've searched but not found any videos online (free)... does anyone know of any that would show some of this?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 11

You've asked a huge question--I'll answer the rkt part. I either whirl my dry cereal in the food processor first so when I make the rkt it will come out smoothy smooth. Or I use the cereal right out of the box and take a lemon zester and shave it smooth after I make the whatever I'm making.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 11

I'm with K8memphis...I crush the Rice Krispies before making the RKT and end up with a smoother finish.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 11

On the crushing Krispies note- I did this for the first time a few weeks ago. Did you guys have to add more Rice Krispies to the marshmallows? I had to add about another cup but then my apples seemed SO dense.

cloetzu Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 11

thanks! that makes sense - now that you say it! icon_smile.gif

so do you use butter cream or royal on top of it?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 11

Yes it is much more dense--I just use the same measurement --which I use 5 cups instead of 6 cups that the usual recipes call for.

I measure after I whirl.

I have found that I like to use the chocolate covering with the whirled stuff. I think chocolate overwhelms regular rkt but I like it on the dense stuff.

But you can use fondant or royal or buttercream all of the above.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 11

You mean you molded an apple right? I'm thinking apples, whaaat?

But for something that I could easily scrape off I'd use the zester. Great for getting gingerbread pieces to cooperate also, as in g-bread construction.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 11

Cloetzu--I pronounce your name like Inspector Clouseau on the Pink Panther. icon_biggrin.gif

cloetzu Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Cloetzu--I pronounce your name like Inspector Clouseau on the Pink Panther. icon_biggrin.gif

LOL - Love it!

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 11

Haha yes, K8memphis, I molded apples! Did not include apples in my RKT mixture icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 11

I use white chocolate after i mold the RKT to fill in any holes and gaps. then i freeze it for a few minutes (or however long i need to). then i add more chocolate to it and i use the heat of my hands and i just work with it (much like a potter would with clay) til it has covered nicely and with very little bumps or dents. then i freeze again. once frozen, i take a sharp paring knife to any spots that need it and again use the heat of hands to melt spots as needed. before you know it, it's a perfectly smooth canvas ready to be covered with fondant! to apply the fondant i smear piping gel over the object and I find it works beautifully!

i've done this is many of my photos...including the Nike shoe one...the whole shoe is RKT.

to answer your "what can be cake question?"...it just depends on how many servings you need? and if the object you are trying to sculpt will look as good if you do it half cake/half RKT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%