Melting Fondant

Decorating By caroll Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 5:02am by busybaking

caroll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caroll Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 22

I just made an alcohol based fruit cake and i aged it for 3weeks. I iced it in the first layer of fondant and surprisingly a day after the fondant is melting off. i really need some urgent help please. i live in a very hot area. please help me.

21 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 22

I guess that's why they put royal icing or marzipan before the fondant layer?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 22

I agree. There is usually a layer of marzipan under the fondant.

Anyone from the UK around to concur?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 22

Did you store the cake in an airtight container or airtight saran wrap after you placed the first layer of fondant on it? Fondant cakes need to breatheicon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 22

I am sorry this is happening. Can you take it off, then apply the marzipan, then the fondant again. hth

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 22

Never heard of ri being used under fondant on fruit cakes.
I would use a layer of marzipan then fondant.
xx

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:25am
post #7 of 22

I'm from the UK. You need to put marzipan on to the cake before you ice it in anything. It seals the cake and also provides a smooth surface for your fondant. The cause of your fondant melting will be the alcohol seeping out of the cake and disintergrating the fondant. Covering in marzipan will prevent this.

Here's a good article about covering with marzipan:

http://cakefrills.co.uk/home/tutorials/covering-a-fruit-cake-with-marzipan

HTH

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 11:03am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

Never heard of ri being used under fondant on fruit cakes.
I would use a layer of marzipan then fondant.
xx

Neither have I with RI under fondant but definately marzipan is normal on rich fruit cakes under either fondant or RI.

Cover the cake with a thin layer of apricot jam, then marzipan and fondant and it should be ok then.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 22

I have never worked with marzipan. Does anyone have a link to a good recipe?

caroll Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 10:26am
post #10 of 22

Thank you all for the help, have just removed the fondant, will try using marzipan as suggested.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 22

http://niyasworld.blogspot.com/2009/11/royal-icing-traditionally-used-to-cover.html

Quote:
Quote:

Royal Icing ( Traditionally used to cover rich fruit cake or for decorations)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/recipex/msg1211171329219.html

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-make-royal-icing-for-christmas-cakes-a144783

The first link does not mention the marzipan layer.
The other two links mention the marzipan first then the royal.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #12 of 22

So the royal goes on top of marzipan or fondant? Kinda confusing.
I mean I always thought royal as a cake covering at all was 'different'.
How's that gonna slice up.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 22

If you are decorating with fondant forget RI you brush cake with apricot jam then put on marzipan. Let that dry our for a day then brush marzipan with sugar syrup or vodka then put fondant on. thumbs_up.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 22

so who has the best recipe for marzipan or do you have to buy it in tubes (that is the only way I have found it in the stores here)?

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

So the royal goes on top of marzipan or fondant? Kinda confusing.
I mean I always thought royal as a cake covering at all was 'different'.
How's that gonna slice up.

You would use the marzipan then ice it with royal icing. If you add 1 Tbsp glycerin to your royal icing and it won't get like rock when it dries and you can slice it.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 22

Marzipan recipe 225g ground almonds 225g caster sugar 225 powder sugar 4 egg yolks 6 drops almond essence
mix ground almonds and sugars in a bowl then add egg yolks and essence. Knead to form stifff paste. Do not over knead or it gets oily. Wrap in saran wrap refrigerate till needed.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 22

Thank you, That'sLife.

Back 20 years ago--cake decorators used egg white to adhere marzipan to the fruit cake. Yikes --we'd all go nuts on that one huh.

Plus my book says during WWII when almonds were scarce they would use meal made from the ground inner kernels of peaches and nectarines--says it was less oily and did not bleed though in spots like the almond meal marzipan.

It's a pretty complicated affair--just like butter cake and fillings and dams and etc.

caroll Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:58pm
post #18 of 22

So how do you add the glycerin, as a gel or as powder?

Ebonyswanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ebonyswanne Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 10:45pm
post #19 of 22

I'm an Australian.... but I find here in Australia most people want heavy fruit cake or chocolate mud and not much in between. (I never use almond for a base on mud cakes, it does impart flavour into the cake.)

I always use almond fondant for the first layer ans sugar syrup to make it stick, then the sugar syrup is also used to make the fondant stick to the almond. It takes me 48hrs to cover a fruit cake because I leave the almond to set for about 24hrs or a bit more.

To me there are no short cuts when it comes to traditional fruit cake covered in fondant.

I hope that helps!

busybaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busybaking Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:07am
post #20 of 22

I live in a hot climate too, and I brush my fruit cakes with jam and cover with fondant then leave in the coolest place i can find. if you put in a container it will melt or go gooy, you need to let it breathe to set. I never use Marizpan.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #21 of 22

Another hot-climate denizen here. One thing I do regularly is to add a little CMC and a touch of powdered sugar and shortening to my fondant before rolling it out to sort of "tropicalize" it. On regular cakes I usually put ganache under my fondant, because it's less humid than jam or buttercream and so won't melt the fondant, a problem in hot and humid places, even if you don't cover or refrigerate the cake. This is obviously not a good solution for fruitcake. I've just made fruitcake for the first time since I moved here, so I'm going to experiment with two methods: I'm putting marzipan under the fondant on one (or maybe I'll just decorate the marzipan instead of the fondant). I'm going to leave the other one out for 24 hours so it can dry out a little bit from the rum it's been soaking in and then I'm going to put fondant directly on the cake with no sticky stuff underneath (although the vodka idea sounds pretty good, too). I'll let you know what happens, although unfortunately that won't be till after Christmas!

busybaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busybaking Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #22 of 22

I think you will find that you need to put something under fondant , to make it stick. If you dont fancy Jam, you can use a light brushing of sugar syrup icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%