Cake Cricut

Decorating By Savybee Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 5:41pm by Savybee

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 4:39am
post #91 of 128

Got my Cricut mini... still 6 more on the shelf. In this small town, that's too many! I wonder why the larger JoAnn's aren't begging them to share! I'll have to watch and see how low these babies go. They're sooooo heavy, they'd probably be pricey to ship.

... and when I called the day after Black Friday they told me $199 - the sale was over... and it was the ONLY Cricut they still had in stock. Now they are wondering if they'll ever sell them. It was a stroke of luck that I even went there yesterday and noticed!

Savybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savybee Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 11:27pm
post #92 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You use it the same way you use the cake , with the same pressure and speed.

Are you talking about the cricut and using it for cake?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #93 of 128

I'm talking about the expression.

Christine1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine1219 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:57am
post #94 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You use it the same way you use the cake , with the same pressure and speed.

Are you talking about the and using it for cake?

The expression can be modified for use as a Cricut Cake... just remove the runner rings that feed the paper.

Savybee Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 10:33pm
post #95 of 128

Christine1219 and tiggy 2 thanks for telling me. I was a little confused!!

MrsPhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPhim Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:20pm
post #96 of 128

What I'm wondering is, can the Cricut Cake also be used for scrapbooking?? =) I have the Cricut Personal, still unopened but I also want to be able to try the Cricut Cake for cake decorating. Can I return my paper-cutting Cricut and buy the Cricut Cake, to have for cake decorating and paper cutting, instead of having to buy both machines.....??

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #97 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhim

What I'm wondering is, can the Cake also be used for scrapbooking?? =) I have the Personal, still unopened but I also want to be able to try the Cake for cake decorating. Can I return my paper-cutting and buy the Cake, to have for cake decorating and paper cutting, instead of having to buy both machines.....??

You can use any of the cricut machines for cake decorating or scrapbooking. When I took a class to learn how to use my cricut we used the cricut create in class. It worked just fine and I was able to cut out anything I wanted to. I bought the cricut cake, but it didn't work better or worse, it worked the same as the cricut create. I use my Silhouette for my cake decorating and the cricut cake for scrapbooking, I love the print and cut feature of the Silhouette but I like the cricut to cut out cup cake wrappers.

Savybee Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:17pm
post #98 of 128

Has anyone heard of the decorating pen? I saw it in a sur la table magazine. Anyone??

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
post #99 of 128
Quote:

What I'm wondering is, can the Cake also be used for scrapbooking?? =) I have the Personal, still unopened but I also want to be able to try the Cake for cake decorating. Can I return my paper-cutting and buy the Cake, to have for cake decorating and paper cutting, instead of having to buy both machines.....??

I bought the cricut cake and have had my ups and downs with it.. so I bought the deep housing blade for cutting paper. So I switch out the blade if I'm cutting food or paper.. I have found it easier for me personally to make a stencil and then use a razor to cut out the fondant/gumpaste images.

Christine1219 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:01pm
post #100 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennilley

Quote:

I bought the cake and have had my ups and downs with it.. so I bought the deep housing blade for cutting paper. So I switch out the blade if I'm cutting food or paper.. I have found it easier for me personally to make a stencil and then use a razor to cut out the fondant/gumpaste images.

Hi. I have been searching high and low for the deep housing blade... Can you kindly send me a message letting me know where you purchased yours? I have been finding it very difficult to get many of the Cricut accessories ! Thanks

Savybee Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:04pm
post #101 of 128

Where should i get the deep housing blade? Do i definitely need it?

Christine1219 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:54pm
post #102 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savybee

Where should i get the deep housing blade? Do i definitely need it?

it is reccomended to use the deep housing blade as it is a longer blade. It is better for cutting thick paper or gumpaste & fondant. I am having a difficukt time locating it though.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:13pm
post #103 of 128

Yes, you definately need it to get good clean cuts. I bought mine on ebay as it was much cheaper as were the replacement blades. They are actually the same blades used in the cake cricut. Wal Mart sells them if you're in a pinch.

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #104 of 128

I got mine at Michaels but I paid $30 bucks for it.. It's alot cheaper to buy it online through ebay or at amazon. Walmart also sells them and usually all the craft supply stores do too. If you have the cricut cake then you also need to buy the regular sticky cutting mats for paper too. I think I paid $10 bucks for a package of 2.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:41pm
post #105 of 128

Mats are cheaper on ebay too icon_smile.gif

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:15pm
post #106 of 128

I just go the cricut cake for my birthday. My sister got it for $50 at Micheals. She got me 4 cartridges, a couple cutting mats, the box of tools, and 4 packs of frosting sheets all for $150! I'm excited to start playing with it! Who cares if it isn't Martha Stewarts!

Christine1219 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:59pm
post #107 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

I just go the cake for my birthday. My sister got it for $50 at Micheals. She got me 4 cartridges, a couple cutting mats, the box of tools, and 4 packs of frosting sheets all for $150! I'm excited to start playing with it! Who cares if it isn't Martha Stewarts!

Thats UNBELIEVABLE !! Where do you live which Michaels?? Im curious if I can get one ! Personally, I prefer it NOT to be Martha's... HAPPY BIRTHDAY

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:48pm
post #108 of 128

Thanks! My sister lives near Minneapolis. Our Micheals had them for $100 but never the $50. I am still in shock over everything she gave me and the price she paid. It really is amazing!

Christine1219 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:15pm
post #109 of 128
Quote:

Thanks! My sister lives near Minneapolis. Our Micheals had them for $100 but never the $50. I am still in shock over everything she gave me and the price she paid. It really is amazing!

Amazing indeed.. In NY.. not even close.. I think the least expensive I hve seen is $299.00 ENJOY

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 6:36pm
post #110 of 128
Quote:

I just go the cake for my birthday. My sister got it for $50 at Micheals. She got me 4 cartridges, a couple cutting mats, the box of tools, and 4 packs of frosting sheets all for $150! I'm excited to start playing with it! Who cares if it isn't Martha Stewarts!

What an awesome sister thumbs_up.gif
Have fun and take your time, play around with it and read and watch everything you can on it....the two things that I have found that helped me the most was to roll the materialVERY thin, and freeze (a good 20 min) the mat with the fondant on it prior to cutting, and then for a few minutes afterwards as well. Good luck

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:59pm
post #111 of 128

So, I got a Cricut cake in the Amazon Black Friday sales week. I got the MS version for $229 cos it was cheaper than the regular version, plus a whopping shipping charge for sending it to Spain icon_biggrin.gif Anyhow, I was up til 3am last night doing a VERY intricate design for a cake for this morning (plus a less intricate design for another cake). I haven't uploaded a photo. But boy, am I impressed. I could never have cut out the design I used with a scalpel. Well, maybe I could have, but I would have got no sleep.
The reason I was up til 3am was because of connecting the Cricut to my Mac. I bought SCAL, Mac version. But there was NO WAY the Mac detected the Cricut connection via USB (tried 2 different cables and all the USB ports!). So, luckily my husband is a computer geekfreak - he installed a thing called Parallels on my Mac, then installed Windows, then installed the SCAL for Windows version, and then I could cut what I wanted. Nightmare. So, my warning is for those who use a Mac. It is NOT easy to get your Mac to recognise your Cricut, at all. At least in my (limited) experience.
Granted, I am still waiting to hear from the SCAL people to see if they can help, but last night I was in a rush and the only solution was the Windows thing. Hopefully they will come up with a suitable solution, otherwise they really shouldn't be selling a Mac version of there software for $60.
The tip I read on here about using 2oz gumpaste for the 12x12 mat was really helpful, I can't remember who posted it now. Also, freezing the gumpaste for 20 mins. If you just let it sit on the counter for 20 mins, it forms a kind of "skin" which just drags on the cuts.
I am so far impressed with the Cricut icon_smile.gif Sorry this post got so long!

Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:00pm
post #112 of 128

Ah! And you can use cheap flimsy cutting mats/boards instead of buying the Cricut ones. Just make sure they are at least 12" wide, trim them to size if necessary. And use lots of shortening!

Savybee Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 7:57pm
post #113 of 128

This might be stupid but i'm new to cake decorating and have no clue what frosting sheets are. What are they?

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:25pm
post #114 of 128

Hey you don't have to go out and get the cricut cake the cricut expression works just as fine. I use the expression.

mblackie123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mblackie123 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:20pm
post #115 of 128

I just received a cricut cake as a christmas gift. I am so excited to start playing with it. However the person that bought it and shipped it to me did not realize that you needed cartridges to use it. Does anyone know if either the "sure cuts alot" or "make the cuts" software can be used without having a cartridge inserted into the machine. I think I saw somewhere that the "sure cuts alot" has to have a cartridge, but I didn't see anything about the other. I can't get to a store to get the cartridges until next week, and I don't think I can wait that long!

Dayti Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:37pm
post #116 of 128

You definitely need a cartridge for SCAL, not sure about MTC - have a look on their website. In any case, if your not planning on using the cartridge at all just get the cheapest one!

tiggy2 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm
post #117 of 128

MTC also needs a cartridge in the machine to work. You gen get them fairly cheap on ebay.

mblackie123 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #118 of 128

Thank you for the info tiggy2 and dayti. That is what I was afraid of. I am not going to like having to wait a week until I can use the machine. Guess I don't have a choice icon_sad.gif Thanks again

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #119 of 128

mblackie123, you dont have to wait a week to play with it, they usually come with a cartridge, the basic.

mblackie123 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #120 of 128

thanks bakencake. Yes I see they usually come with the basics, however, my friend bought mine "new" off of ebay, but the person who sold it had taken the cartridge. I am still confused, but if u look on ebay ALOT of them say new, but cartridge not included. I guess I can't complain to much, since it was a chritmas gift.....even if I can't use it! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%