Nfsc - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Baking By retaunton Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm by retaunton

retaunton Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #1 of 11

For the second time my NFSC are a disaster. The first time I halved the recipe and figured that is what I did wrong. This time I followed the instructions and made the full amount. Dough came together fine and I let the dough chill for 2 hours. They stuck to my insulated baking sheet. Tried non-stick baking sheet and they stuck to that too. When I roll, the dough keeps tearing. I am using powder sugar to roll. (The first time...the cookies were very dry.) I divided the dough into small rolls before chilling. I take out one, roll out all my cookies (1 sheet) at a time. After pan goes into oven, I roll scraps back into a ball/disc, wrap and it goes into the fridge. I am baking for 6 minutes on the non-stick baking sheet. First pan, I let cool for 10 minutes before removing cookies (or I should say...tried to remove cookies.) They were stuck and came to pieces. 2nd pan I rolled the cookies thicker and sprayed the non-stick pan. After baking for six minutes, I let them cool for 5 minutes and they still stuck a little. At least this time, they did not come all to pieces. I am making 5" cookies so I need a dough that will not spread.

I need help!

Thanks!

10 replies
Corrie76 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:58am
post #2 of 11

It could be many factors, but the most striking thing that is different is that I bake my NFSC for 10 min., They aren't even brown around the edges after 10 minutes (this is at 350). Maybe you need to bake them longer- maybe they are a little raw and sticking.

dellababe Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 11

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar , 1 8oz cream cheese
1 cup butter (softened) , 1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla , 3 cups flour(or more)
1 tsp baking soda , 1 tsp cream of tarter

Beat together butter, cream cheese, egg, and vanilla. Mix all dry ingredients together and spoon into butter and cream cheese mixture. The cookie dough will be VERY sticky. Add more flour if you like. Use lots of flour when rolling out the dough. Roll dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Use whatever cookie cutter you want. Bake at 375* for only 7 mins (NO MORE). Remove from hot cookie sheet immediately and place on cooling racks.

ICING:
2 cups powered sugar, 1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbls water , food coloring
After you icing the cookies, let them sit out on wax paper until completely dry. If you store them in a container too soon, the icing will stick to the bottom of the other cookie or the wax paper you layered them between. ENJOY!!!!
THe dough will be very sticky. Use lots of flour to prevent them from sticky to the counter top!!!

goodiegoddess Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 11

I have made thousands using this recipe. In my experience, bake longer and remove from sheet right away. If they are sticking, they are not done enough.

I also roate my cookies 1/2 way. Depending on the size 6 minutes, turn sheet, 4 minutes (or a little longer for larger cookies)

Another hint: I also let my butter whip really well, then add the sugar and let whip a little longer.

This is what works for me. Good luck

Corrie76 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:18am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellababe

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar , 1 8oz cream cheese
1 cup butter (softened) , 1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla , 3 cups flour(or more)
1 tsp baking soda , 1 tsp cream of tarter

Beat together butter, cream cheese, egg, and vanilla. Mix all dry ingredients together and spoon into butter and cream cheese mixture. The cookie dough will be VERY sticky. Add more flour if you like. Use lots of flour when rolling out the dough. Roll dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Use whatever cookie cutter you want. Bake at 375* for only 7 mins (NO MORE). Remove from hot cookie sheet immediately and place on cooling racks.

ICING:
2 cups powered sugar, 1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbls water , food coloring
After you icing the cookies, let them sit out on wax paper until completely dry. If you store them in a container too soon, the icing will stick to the bottom of the other cookie or the wax paper you layered them between. ENJOY!!!!
THe dough will be very sticky. Use lots of flour to prevent them from sticky to the counter top!!!

Hmmm, I use a totally different recipe, I wonder which one the OP uses.

bonniebakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 11

HAlvignthe recipe shouldn't ahve been a problem.... I do that all the time.

I do not add extra powdered sugar or flour when I roll it out... maybe that was making it too dry. I roll the dough before I chill it - between sheets of waxed paper. Then, I bake them on parchment on top of my cookie sheets. I also bake for longer than 10 minutes for 3-4" cookies... more like 15 minutes.

ButtacreamRose Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

HAlvignthe recipe shouldn't ahve been a problem.... I do that all the time.

I do not add extra powdered sugar or flour when I roll it out... maybe that was making it too dry. I roll the dough before I chill it - between sheets of waxed paper. Then, I bake them on parchment on top of my cookie sheets. I also bake for longer than 10 minutes for 3-4" cookies... more like 15 minutes.

Exactly what I do, and never had a problem.

retaunton Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:29am
post #8 of 11

What is the texture of the cookies suppose to be? If I bake longer than 6 - 8 they are very hard.

My third batch turned out ok, when I sprayed the pan beforehand with PAM, and removed them from the pan after just a couple of minutes.

The ones that stuck to the pan were definitely baked through. They were kinda dry when we ate the remnants.

karabeal Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:58am
post #9 of 11

I don't have good results with the regular NFSC recipe--they spread for some reason on me. But I get perfect results with KHalstead's modified NFSC (you can find it in the recipe section). I recommend you look for that recipe and follow it, including her recommendations on how to roll out the cookies.

Good luck!

cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:06am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

I don't have good results with the regular NFSC recipe--they spread for some reason on me.

I don't know why this recipe is called "no fail." They always spread too much for me, too. I've adopted Karen's Cookies' basic recipe as my sugar cookie of choice. She even has a video demonstration of mixing up a batch....not to mention her numerous other helpful tutorials! http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Recipes_ep_68-1.html#recipe01

retaunton Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the different recipes. Thanks for sending the link to Karen's. I love this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%