Grandma's 90Th Birthday - Need Advice And Ideas

Decorating By Marla84 Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 1:56am by cownsj

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 5

I'm planning to make a cake for my grandma's 90th birthday party in a few weeks. We are expecting around 50 people. I have not yet built up a good collection of pans, so currently only own an 8x3" round, 6x3" round and a 10x15x2" sheet. I am trying to avoid buying too many items right now with Christmas coming, so would love to figure something out with these sizes. I thought I could cut the 10x15" sheet into a 10x10" square and stack the 8" and 6" rounds on top, or just stack the 8" and 6", and make the sheet cake into a 2 layer kitchen cake. Ideas are greatly appreciated!!

4 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have your design idea figured out already? You design idea might help with this.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 5

I saw some place that someone had made a sofa covered in fondant and had made fondant figures of all the children, grandchildren etc on the sofa with grandma in the middle was so cute and such a great idea.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 5

No, I don't have a design figured out yet. I know the table decorations will be light blue and white, so I would probably stick with those colors...most likely iced in buttercream with fondant or royal icing decorations. I think I'm just having a hard time deciding on what arrangement will look best. I like the idea of the square cake on the bottom rather than as a kitchen cake, but am nervous about stacking 3 tiers. I like the bows on these two cakes from the gallery http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88922 and http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1006293 but I don't know that I would have enough room using a 6" and an 8" round. I'm also wondering if I should make 2, 2" layers with the 3" deep pans instead of a 3" tier to give a little extra height. Crazboutcakes - thank you for your suggestion - it sounds super cute! I'm not great at sculpting and fondant figures, so probably need something a little less challenging.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:56am
post #5 of 5

Either of those cake are beautiful, but the first one is especially stunning.

I'm with you about having the 3 tier cake instead of a kitchen cake. It just makes more of an impression. Stacking the 3 tiers isn't as scary as it seems. Just remember to put a dowel through all 3 tiers. I'd love to see what you end up with. You can't lose with either of those cakes designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%