Can I Fondant A Brownie??!

Decorating By T-Cake Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 2:28am by Cristi-Tutty

T-Cake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,
I have been asked to make a cake for somebody who actually doesnt like cake!!!! Agghhhh i dont get it either haha, but i have been told they adore brownies....would it be possible for me to substitute the cake sponge for the brownie and then cover it in fondant as i would a normal cake?

This isnt due until December so i have to practice but any tips/advice would be appreciated!!!

icon_smile.gif

Thanks!![/i]

11 replies
Erin3085 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 12

I don't see why not, assuming they like frosting on their brownies. icon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 12

I don't see why not.

artscallion Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 12

Yes. This cake is actually layers of gluten free brownie, baked in square pans, then trimmed to rounds and layered. I did it that way, rather than baking in rounds, because I didn't want the tough outer crust.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1684029

Cristi-Tutty Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 12

artscallion May I ask you what type of frosting did you use for your cake? by the way your cake is beautiful!! I love it!! thank you for sharing

cathyscakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:57am
post #6 of 12

I would cover the brownies with ganache, and then cover with fondant, you would get nice crisp edges, and it would taste wonderful.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #7 of 12

thank you so much!!! icon_wink.gif

artscallion Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #8 of 12

If I remember correctly It was a peanut butter buttercream...My regular buttercream recipe, subbed out some of the butter with PB and added extra salt.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:08am
post #9 of 12

thank you!! did you have any problem smoothing the buttercream?

artscallion Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #10 of 12

No problems at all. It was really no different than working with cake in that respect. I mean I guess it would depend on your brownie recipe. I've seen brownies that were more like a flourless cake texture that might tend to fall apart. But my brownie recipe gives me a pretty solid, stable brownie.

The cake I linked to was a gluten free recipe from King Arthur. my usual brownie is from Cooks Illustrated. I've also used their blondie recipe as a cake before with great success.

BrindysBackyard Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:37am
post #11 of 12

I had a customer who did not like cake. I made the bottom of the cake- cake for thoes who like cake and the lady bug is made out of brownies. everyone was happy

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1475301

Cristi-Tutty Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:28am
post #12 of 12

thank you, thank you for your help!! I am planning to make a hersheys bar for my hubby. His birthday is this weekend, so all you help is appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%