How To Justify Kitchenaid To Hubby

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 15 May 2013 , 5:08am by Annabakescakes

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #31 of 57

OH my word what an amazingly sweet hubby you have!!!! Definitely make him something extremely yummy!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

Thanks, guys! After I posted this, my dh came up to me and told me he wanted to donate his Christmas money so I could get the mixer, knowing how much I wanted it. I felt so guilty, but he told me he wanted to make me happy. I profusely promised to make him lots of goodies and he seemed happy with that. But I'm going to tighten the belt anyway and try to save up for something he really wants next year. Wish me luck! I'm so bad at saving...

I hate to ask but what is "His Christmas Money"?

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:17pm
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Quote:

I hate to ask but what is "His Christmas Money"?

I feel sheepish admitting this, but his parents are giving us both money for Christmas, and he donated his money so I could get the kitchenaid. It's still not quite enough to cover it, but enough that I can wiggle the budget to make up the difference.

I ended up getting the kitchenaid pro 600 series. With the deal on Amazon, it was actually cheaper than the artisan series! I'm so excited! And I plan on using it more than just for cakes. I love to bake, and I'm so excited to make bread and cookies, and pizza dough... I'm also excited to be able to crack and beat each egg individually without washing my hands each to time so I don't get my mixer handle dirty!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:38pm
post #34 of 57

Love a story with a happy ending!

And they live happily ever after!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm
post #35 of 57

luv happy ending stories!

I remember when hubby bought me my first one and he was aghast at the cost but bought it anyway. This was during my cake sabbatical when we were first married so it was strictly personal use. Once I got it, i was making "something" for dessert every night for dinner. Why is that significant? Because we are NOT dinner-n-dessert household! He'd come home and ask what was for dessert tonight, then he'd laugh (with glee!) when I'd say "Oh I don't know .... I go out there and whip up something real quick!" icon_biggrin.gif

He was the one who loved the mixer more than me, once he saw how easy ti was for me to use it.

BTW, do you have any small kids in the house? WHen my daughter got hers, her biggest thrill was being able to let the mixer do the work while she chased the kids out of the kitchen (or cleaned up the spill, or referee'd the fight, or helped find their shoes, or.......)

suemillerbuckley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suemillerbuckley Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:58pm
post #36 of 57

I myself had a hard time justifying the price of a KA but if I only had ALL the receipts for the many mixers (non KA) I have literally BLOWN UP mixing Icings, batters, etc. I probablly could have bought about three Kitchen Aid mixers from the start and STILL saved money! If I had only known then what I know now!! LOL

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #37 of 57

You can make homemade bread in it! YUM!

My advise, start a dollar bank for yourself. Whenever you have a single put in aside. I go to the bank when I get 100 and exchange them for a $100 bill and keep going. I use a silly old wallet. I have saved up probably nearly 1000 dollars over the past year and have used it to buy those things that I don't want to have to justify to dh!

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:56am
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

Thanks, guys! After I posted this, my dh came up to me and told me he wanted to donate his Christmas money so I could get the mixer, knowing how much I wanted it. I felt so guilty, but he told me he wanted to make me happy. I profusely promised to make him lots of goodies and he seemed happy with that. But I'm going to tighten the belt anyway and try to save up for something he really wants next year. Wish me luck! I'm so bad at saving...

Yeah! What a great husband! You better whip him up some good cookies! icon_wink.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #39 of 57

This week I bought my first KA. It was on sale at Target for $199, but it came wth a $20 gift card, so the price was $179. I decided to "pony up" because I have burnt out the motors of 3 Sunbeam Heritage mixers (at $70 each) since this summer. I needed something that would last a little longer, so I bought a KA. Also, the attachments on the KA allowed me to make my first batch of SMBC yesterday--something I could never do with my Sunbeam. Well worth the money, IMHO!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:48pm
post #40 of 57

My husband gave me mine as a Christmas gift 13 years ago. A few days later I used it for the first time on a wedding. It paid for itself and then some the first time I turned it on. It's been making me money ever since. Never had any problems and I would go into mourning if something happened to it.

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #41 of 57

Just tell him to call me. Working without a kitchenaid is like trying to bake with no arms. I dropped mine off for a tune up before I went away on a cruise. My anxiety was through the roof! I was imagining all of these scenarios in which I would need it but not have it. I think performing open hear surgery would have caused me less anxiety than relenquishing my kitchen aid, even though I wasn't even going to be in the same hemisphere at the time!!

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:16am
post #42 of 57

If anyone is in the market for one, Williams-Sonoma is selling the KA 610 for $299 today only. Future DH just bought me one!! icon_biggrin.gif I told him I'd give my current Artisan to my younger brother and his girlfriend, but I'm going to try and find the room to store them both. I just don't think I can part with my first KA! icon_sad.gif

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:25am
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymakescakes

Future DH just bought me one!! icon_biggrin.gif I told him I'd give my current Artisan to my younger brother and his girlfriend, but I'm going to try and find the room to store them both. I just don't think I can part with my first KA! icon_sad.gif

I'm in the same situation! I just got a 6 quart as an early Christmas gift and I don't obviously need 2 but I'm very reluctant to give away my 4.5 quart. Life is hard, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #44 of 57

I kept my old 4.5 when I got the 6. The 6 is just too big for some jobs. The 4.5 works better if I'm just whipping up 2 or 3 egg whites.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:46am
post #45 of 57

I have 3 Kitchenaids, and there are many days when they're all going at once! My mother-in-law bought me my first one over 10 years ago for Christmas. It is one of the lower wattage 4-quart mixers, and it was a refurbished one, but it still runs like new to this day. When I make icing or marshmallows they have to whip on full blast for 20 minutes and my KA takes it all and keeps on going!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:46am
post #46 of 57

Kitchenaid is a must have for me. I have always told my husband that its the best gift he ever gave me, who needs jewlery icon_lol.gif I am at the point now that my 4.5 qt. is too small. So tired of the powdered sugar going all over my kitchen, its just too small, and it starts out too fast, need a slower start. Upgrading to the 6 qt for christmas, I hope I like it as well as my old one.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:08am
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

Upgrading to the 6 qt for christmas, I hope I like it as well as my old one.

Not to highjack this thread into another direction, but the only thing I have heard about the 6qt is that it just doesn't cream butter like the smaller ones do, it has a hard time getting into the bottom of the bowl. The beater attachment with the rubber edges will fix that, but the use of some of them (if not all) will void your warranty, or so I've been told. With everything new, there's a learning curve. icon_wink.gif

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:20pm
post #48 of 57

When I think of how many hand mixers I went through just doing cookie dough and cakes just for the family I realize how much money I wasted. I burnt out the motors all the time or the beater insert broke. ( I loved baking for family). So I am talking just food for family. In the long run you will save with a stronger motor in a better machine. Forget all the doodads unless you really want to make your own pasta and sausage. Just get the machine . I have my mom's machine and then my daughter bought her own machine. Only thing I want is a second or third bowl when I am whipping up frostings with colours.

If money is tight start putting a little away in a jar as much as you can. Then look for a good sale. It seems about 1-2 x a year they do go on sale, combine that with a store sale and it adds up. My daughter's 6qt. she got on sale for almost 40% off.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:18am
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

Upgrading to the 6 qt for christmas, I hope I like it as well as my old one.

Not to highjack this thread into another direction, but the only thing I have heard about the 6qt is that it just doesn't cream butter like the smaller ones do, it has a hard time getting into the bottom of the bowl. The beater attachment with the rubber edges will fix that, but the use of some of them (if not all) will void your warranty, or so I've been told. With everything new, there's a learning curve. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for your advice, I'm getting the mixer for christmas, I'll let you know how it works. I had heard some bad reviews about it, but have like my 4 1/2 qt so well, I decided to upgrade. I'm really hoping I like it, they are spendy. I will be keeping my old one just in case.

bigwheals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigwheals Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:40am
post #50 of 57

Glad to hear you got it worked out I just got the story and I have 4 kitchenaid mixers and I could have sold you one for around 75.00 but you would have to pay for shipping.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Just my opinion.... how many power tools does he have and how offten does he use them? I feel that what I do hobby or not I feel that occational I deserve to buyt something nice that I want and that is it. I am not a selfish person but come on I know my DH has many things that go beyone what I spend and uses it occationally hence the hobbiest it works both ways. Buy it for yourself if you really want it. icon_smile.gif just my oppinion.

EXACTLY!!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm
post #52 of 57

Yay! make that sweetie some sweets!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:08am
post #53 of 57

My opinion....they are worth their weight in gold icon_smile.gif They are SO much better than a hand mixer. You can mix up batches of cookies and other stiffer type mixes without any issues.

It also frees your hands to do other tasks while mixing icon_smile.gif Get one if you can icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:37am
post #54 of 57

Cathyscakes, how do you like your new 6 Qt? I bought mine early last fall and got a great deal on it. I'd never had a Kitchen Aide, so I was a little startled at the noise level, but got used to it very quickly. This machine is my best friend. . .I LOVE it and kick myself every day for not getting one earlier. I've bought 2 extra bowls, a small sized bowl/whisk set and a number of the attatchments to go on it and I use it for everything!

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:23pm
post #55 of 57

I have a 5qt bowl KA now and it makes great icing using a 2lb bag of 10x sugar.  QUESTION to all bakers who have a 6qt KA - can you do a double batch (4lb bag of powdered sugar) of icing? 

Will a 6qt bowl hold 4 sticks of butter and 4 lbs of icing ... and mix it up?

THANKS - trying to decide if I should get a larger one of stick to the same size.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 14 May 2013 , 5:22pm
post #56 of 57

My 5.5 qt KA stand mixer will hold a 5# batch of buttercream.  So yes, a 6 qt will easily handle a 4# batch.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 May 2013 , 5:08am
post #57 of 57

AI make a 7 lb batch of icing in my artisans. I have 3, so make 21 lbs at once. It is a lifesaver!!!! It is 2 1/4 lbs of butter/shortening and 5 lbs powdered sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%