Is The Cricut Cake Worth It?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm by deijha

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 18

I found where Joann has its cricut cake mini on sale for black friday, debating on if it is something I would use or not!? To those who have one, how many times a month or year would you say you use it? And does it add to your cakes so much that it was worth the money? Since its on sale, I figured if I am going to get one, now is the time! But I don't want to put money towards something I don't need when there are other things I do need, like a stand mixer, just because its on sale!

17 replies
mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 18

The cricut cake is the most expensive shelf decoration I own. I used it for a few cakes when I first got it because I was really excited about the possibilities and it looked really cool on HSN. I'm a sucker for informercials. After a month or so, I got tired of lugging it out everytime I wanted to use it (it's HUGE). You have to buy different cartridges at $40 a pop to get more designs.To get shading, or different colors, you have to roll each color out individually and then put it in the machine to cut. The small designs don't come out right. It was just easier for me to hand make all my designs. Just my opinion, but I wish I'd bought a new mixer or edible printer instead.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 18

Mine is a big, expensive paperweight.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 18

I have the expression, and I don't even use it for a paperweight. Only time I play with it is for wedding show displays.
To use it for everyday work is just a waste. I can write on 25 cakes if not more in the same amount of time it takes to roll out, cut and place letters for one cake done on the cricut.

That said, if you do it, I beg you, spend the money on Linda McClure's video. The gumpaste recipe alone will save you from throwing the thing up against a wall.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks guys! That pretty much what I needed to hear to talk myself out of fighting the 5am blackfriday crowds, and spending the money on something that sounds cooler than it really is! I need a stand mixer BAD, think I should use the money towards that instead!

mahal50881 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 18

Amazon is having a really great deal on Kitchenaid mixers right now and you don't even have to get up early. I'm thinking about getting the 6qt for $299

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 18

I have been hearing a lot of negative feedback from kitchen aide lately, that their gears keep breaking and are not so durable. However, I have been hearing wonderful things about the Cuisinart brand...might need to research both of those some more!!!

mahal50881 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 18

I've heard issues from both mixers but I've had my kitchenaid for 10 years and it's only now starting to slow down. I've never tried cuisinart but I apprehensive to spend so much money on a brand I've never had any experience with.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 18

Its the newer models of the Kitchen aid that are supposedly tearing up easily, I guess anytime you buy something that gets used that much with that many little parts you are bound to have something mess up every once in a while! Not only am I looking up prices of the mixers, but replacement parts as well...trying to figure out which may cost more in the long run with maintenance included!

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 18

I've had my Kitchenaid for about 6 months now and have used it A TON. I love it. I have had no issues with it. Every product is going to have a few unsatisfied customers, so I'm glad I ignored the reviews and bought the Kitchenaid anyway.

Good info about the cricut. I definitely won't be buying one now.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 18

EEE So nervous about spending the money on a mixer, glad I won't be wasting that could be mixer money on a cricut!LOL

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

EEE So nervous about spending the money on a mixer, glad I won't be wasting that could be mixer money on a cricut cake!LOL

well, call me the odd one out, but i LOVE my cricut cake...IF you buy SCAL to go along with it! SCAL is a downlodable software and has a one time fee of $59. with SCAL, you can search any word, image, picture, etc. on the entire Internet and cut it out! thus, no need to buy ANY of the expensive cartridges!!! i also don't have to buy cutters or tappits anymore because i can look up any font online as well! it cuts to any size up to 24 inches, so that eliminates having to have a snowflake (for example) cutter in every shape and size. i love it for cutting out logos (look at my suitcase cake), monograms (any of my wedding cakes), scroll work (for the uniformity), etc. the possiblities are endless IF you get SCAL! I rarely have a cake that goes out my door (i do on average of 8 a weekend...i'm a one woman show) that doesn't have something on it that i've cut with my cricut cake.

now, there are times when it is faster to cut circles or something basic with a cutter or by hand. but there is no way that i could have cut the sandals logo (suitcase cake) as fast as my cricut did. before i had the cricut, i would have had to find the logo, print it on paper, cut the paper out, lay it on top of gumpaste and cut it with the exacto...now i just find the image onine and press cut! and the cricut cuts it icon_smile.gif so for me, it's saved me countless hours of time...which in turn makes me more money and gives me more time for additional cakes or time with my family icon_smile.gif

it's the size of a breadbox, so i just moved my breadbox off the counter...there was never bread in it anyways LOL

in saying all of this, if you're weighing a mixer against a cricut cake, go with the mixer b/c i use that even more than my cricut cake!

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 18

I have burnt out 3 hand mixers this year and decided I needed a good stand mixer was also looking at cricut which has just come out in the uk. After reading so many bad reviews here then they started getting bad reviews in UK I bought stand mixer a monthe ago sooo glad I did get the stand mixer thumbs_up.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 18

YES!!! definitively

I love my cricut, have less than 2 months with it and already made 4 cakes using basically cricut appliques. BUT, only consider buying if you a) like working with computer stuff and b) are willing to run your own tests to determine wich media: fondant & gumpaste and settings work for your especific weather conditions

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 18

UpAt2am i couldn't agree more! i love my cricut cake, i think it was a great investment. and although it "voids the warranty", i purchased a deep cut blade and paper mat and use it to craft/scrapbook when i'm not working on a cake! its such a multipurpose machine! my boyfriend was hesitant to buy it for me at first but now he says it was well worth the money since i use it for literally everything! i do agree that you have to buy SCAL, i only have three physical cartridges but with SCAL i can cut any image i find online! inkscape helps me break apart images so i can layer and create some really cool stuff. i have several examples of cakes i made using the cricut in my photos if you'd like to take a look =D

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1852327
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1817401

buttttttttttttttt....

if you're between the cricut cake and a kitchen aid, i'd say choose the mixer. i've had my ka for about a year and a half now with no problems. i def use it wayyyyy more than my cricut and idk what i'd do without it! its a life saver when mixing bc and mmf =D

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 18

It's what you make of it. As with any product, if you actually take the time to learn and use it, then yeah, it'll work and be great. If you think it's gonna work miracles, you are saddenly mistaken.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #17 of 18

I think mixer is on the must list, and cricut, well, its on sale, so I was going to get it...but I think maybe its a "one day" still, its a neat machine, but I just don't think I would use it much, plus I enjoy practicing my piping and cutting out by hand skills..

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 18

I was just given a circut cake machine to try out and I was sadly disappointed with it. Glad I got to try it out first without buying. Buy the mixer its a better investment.
Jeanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%