Is There A Substitute I Could Use For Tylose?

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm by -K8memphis

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 26

I can't find any and I don't have time to order it. Is there anything I can use to make my fondant harden other than Tylose?

25 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 26

Gum-Tex, Wilton sales it and you should be able to find it at Michaels. You could also mix in ready made gumpaste.

I've also hard of fixadent powder being used, but I have never tried that one myself.

Lizmybit Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 26

Excellent, thank you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 26

The fix-a-dent would probably be best in items that are not going to be eaten. Denture powders have come under attack for releasing too much zinc into the system. Of course there's a huge difference between using it every day in your mouth to ingesting it once in a blue moon. But it isn't food and it can be harmful.

So be careful.

I always try to picture what would happen if some food at the reception made folks sick and they interviewed all the vendors. Would I really wanna say that I put denture powder in some thing that seemed edible? That's how I do it. And boys at weddings take it as a challenge to eat weird stuff like gum paste.

I try & stay as far away from questionable practices as possible.

FrostingKrista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingKrista Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 26

The Wilton Gum-Tex Powder, like TexasSugar suggested, is what I use icon_smile.gif I also stick my pieces in the oven overnight with just the light on...Makes them harden quicker for me icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 26

use 1 tsp. gum tex to pound of fondant and 2 tsp cornstarch. work in really well . works great. and hardens and drys fast.

Lizmybit Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 26

Thank you everyone! Yeah, I don't thinks I'd use denture powder in anything someone could eat.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 26

Nothing on TexasSugar because I have read that elsewhere too--but I mean you could use freaking plaster of paris or wallpaper glue etc.. I don't know how these ideas get started. It's FOOD!

TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 26

I do think that something that is made to go in to people's mouths and will potentially be digested is very different than plaster of paris or wall paper glue.

I do remember when I first heard about it, someone I respected on a message board did it and said something about it.

I wouldn't use it as a first choice, but I didn't know where the OP was located and not everyone has a craft store local to them, so I was giving another option. And yes while people do eat hard fondant stuff, we aren't talking about them eating the whole package of fixadent in one sitting either.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 26

Google "fixodent lawsuit."

None of those folks were commissioned and paid to serve it up with thier party cake either.

I said, "Nothing on you--I'd heard it elsewhere also."

Of course there's a difference in wallpaper glue and fixodent.
There's also quite a difference in recommending it for consumption.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 26

Whenever I use Gum-tex, it seems to make my fondant crumbly and it breaks easily. Why is that?

TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 26

K8, yes you did say 'nothing on me' but then you also threw in things that people clearly wouldn't put on a cake, so yes I'll comment on it. But dont' worry, this will be my last comment on the Fixadent subject.

Cupcakesnbuttercream, are you using it right away or letting it sit? I have found with gum-tex, it is better to mix it in and use it right away. If it sits it does get harder and that could cause it to be crumble. If it is just a little bit sometimes it can be fixed with kneading in some crisco.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Gum-Tex, Wilton sales it and you should be able to find it at Michaels. You could also mix in ready made gumpaste.

I've also hard of fixadent powder being used, but I have never tried that one myself.

Let me just say that my little Mother died eight years ago today in fact--the day before Thanksgiving although it was the 27th of the month that year--with her health tangled in miserable complications from zinc poisoning although she died of old age. I said Mom how did you get so much zinc in you? We didn't know at the time. It was her denture stuff.

We should not use it in our mouths at all, clearly we should not eat it. I very gently explained this.

Making reference to the other things we should not put in our mouths but that would boost our gumpaste was to illustrate how dangerous it could be to eat this stuff--especially for kidlettes.

There's page after page after page after page after page of lawsuits on it. You're welcome for alerting you to the dangers you were proposing.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 26

Cornstarch helps fondant harden.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:35am
post #15 of 26
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:42am
post #16 of 26
Quote:

I do think that something that is made to go in to people's mouths and will potentially be digested is very different than plaster of paris or wall paper glue.

I do remember when I first heard about it, someone I respected on a message board did it and said something about it.

I wouldn't use it as a first choice, but I didn't know where the OP was located and not everyone has a craft store local to them, so I was giving another option. And yes while people do eat hard fondant stuff, we aren't talking about them eating the whole package of fixadent in one sitting either.

I CONCURRRRR!!!!!! Fixadent is intended to be used in the mouth and saliva will be ingested the entire time the dentures are in place. To make the comparison to plaster or wall paper paste is absurd!!!

Also, we are talking about a small amount of it too, probably no more than you would use to put your dentures in.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:10am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

This thread says you're never suppose to use cornstarch in fondant:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=681515&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cornstarch&&start=0

Yes it does. I think the gist of that thread is that it should not be used in fondant to be used as a cake cover. But that thread has a lot of other information too like other famous and non-famous cakers who do use it. And that cornstarch is not poisonous.

I would also point out that there is not 50 pages of lawsuits about it on google like there is with the denture products.

And I think op is not using this as cake cover--they wanted it to harden and dry out.

edited for typo

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:29am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguerrant

Quote:

I CONCURRRRR!!!!!! Fixadent is intended to be used in the mouth and saliva will be ingested the entire time the dentures are in place. To make the comparison to plaster or wall paper paste is absurd!!!

Also, we are talking about a small amount of it too, probably no more than you would use to put your dentures in.

Just please google "fixadent lawsuit".

My point is that a lot of stuff will stiffen fondant. What those three items have in common is that they are not fda approved for this purpose.

Even just being used as a denture product people are suing the butts off other people.

I didn't make up the 50 pages of lawsuits--it's not a well known thing. I just learned about it recently. It's significant.

I think it would have been negligent of me to let this all pass and not say something. TexasS was being helpful. So am I.

Fixadent is not the user friendly product we all thought it was. It's bad news if ingested. It's bad news as a denture product.

Don't shoot the messenger.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:10am
post #19 of 26

WHAT ABOUT DUSTING THE SURFACE WITH CORNSTARCH....THATS BAD NOW? SORRY IM TIRED AND DIDNT READ ALL LOL...SUGARSHACK USES CS TO DUST SURFACE.....IT WORKS GREAT AND CRISCO MAKES IT STICK FOR ME icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:37pm
post #20 of 26

Madge--according to that other thread you have to watch out that the cornstarch/fondant cake covering doesn't ferment on the cake.. But tons of people use cornstarch and it is edible--apparently it has broken hearts by fermenting. That would truly be a bummer.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 26

Now I just saw on tv a big name New York decorator use a pencil to mark on fondant that was cake cover, so it would/could be eaten.

This decorator stated that "graphite is a food safe product."

What do you think? Would you do that?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #22 of 26

I sure wouldn't and I sure wouldn't use that for the freakin' tv camera. Just sayng.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:07am
post #23 of 26

I've been watching Way Beyond Cakes by Mayen.
She has said that she has used Gum Tex with her fondant also.

I have recently tried Gum Tex and I am satisfied with how it is working. I recently worked on a pink, black and white zebra striped cake. I needed the number '8' to stand vertically.
Gum Tex kneaded into the fondant helped to firm up the fondant.

I use a light sprinkle of confectioners sugar to roll my mmf.
Just sayin'

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:37am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguerrant

Quote:

Just please google "fixadent lawsuit".

My point is that a lot of stuff will stiffen fondant. What those three items have in common is that they are not fda approved for this purpose.

Even just being used as a denture product people are suing the butts off other people.

I didn't make up the 50 pages of lawsuits--it's not a well known thing. I just learned about it recently. It's significant.

I think it would have been negligent of me to let this all pass and not say something. TexasS was being helpful. So am I.

Fixadent is not the user friendly product we all thought it was. It's bad news if ingested. It's bad news as a denture product.

Don't shoot the messenger.

This is the first i have ever heard of using it, now i wouldn't even have it around to use at all, but you would assume if the FDA approved it to be used in the mouth , a small amount that may be accidentally consumed like the head of a character or something, would be safe.

That is why I always have an extra stash off tylose. the nearest place to get it is 50 miles away for me.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #25 of 26

I would never have thought of Fixodent as something to put in my cakes. Weird!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm
post #26 of 26

Put it this way-- it's most important to safeguard the well being of our client's health by using the finest ingredients and the cleanest procedures. Err on the side of safety.

There are tons of bad practices mentioned on these boards like leaving cream cheese out for hours & hours then make the product. Then they'll say well I didn't die or I didn't get sick so it's ok. That's not the standard! All of us especially the famous cakers need to watch their sh*t and keep us all firmly clearly cleanly on the side of safety.

If it's important to be legal it's ten thousand times more important
to be aboveboard, shameless and blameless with the safest food humanly possible!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%