How To Make A Display Cake?

Decorating By graciesj Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm by graciesj

graciesj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 14

I'm venturing off and going for it. I'm participating at 2 vendors shows and would like to raffle off a christmas themed cake but would love the winner to have a fresh cake for x-mas. So I wish to make a display cake. To at least show them what style their getting. Any ideas on how to stick fondant on the model? thank-you

13 replies
Mexx Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 14

Assume you mean sticking fondant to styrofoam dummies? You can brush piping gel onto the styrofoam and then put your fondant on. Some people use a simple syrup or even just a bit of water. You don't need much of anything, just a light brushing for the fondant to stick.

graciesj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 14

COOL, THANK-YOU VERY MUCHicon_smile.gif Do you know how long these lasts before they start looking old?

LEHLA Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 14

does anyone know once u make a dummie cake as a show piece can u preserve it for a window display?

graciesj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 14

[quote="LEHLA"]does anyone know once u make a dummie cake as a show piece can u preserve it for a window display?[/quote]

NICE QUESTION.PLEASE ANSWERicon_smile.gif))))

Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 14

Yeah, never have made any dummies read about them but have never ventured into any type of show. So how long do they last & does it make a difference what type of stuff you put under the fondant to how much longer/shorter they would last?

Mexx Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 14

They'll actually last forever and it doesn't matter what you put underneath the fondant. Colours will, however, fade very quickly...especially in sunlight and, of course, they'll get very dusty. Some window glass is treated to reduce the effects of sunlight.

If you have a store front, you'd probably need to change the display fairly regularly (monthly?) to keep it looking fresh. Nothing looks worse than a tired, dusty wedding cake.

If the cake is in sunlight, you'll have to take that into account with the colour scheme you choose. Some colour pastes are worse than others for fading.....e.g. Wilton is the worst, Americolor not so bad, Sugarflair also good.

What you could try is to put some different coloured pieces of fondant in direct sunlight and check to see how quickly they fade. Times will vary depending on the season you try it in because the summer sun is stronger.

Good luck.

graciesj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 14

Thank-you for your inputicon_smile.gif it's much appreciatedicon_smile.gif

leily Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 14

I just cleaned off a dummy that was covered in fondant and edible images from 3 years ago and it still looked like i did it in the lat month. It doesn't get old, it just dries up (so it's rock hard-I just ran hot water over it to soften it up again and clean the dummy) I didn't have any issues with the colors fading, but it wasn't in a window with direct sunlight coming through.

You can also do a buttercream dummy and not have any issues either, i've seen these up to 2 years old, just leave out the flavorings since it's not getting eaten to save some cost.

As for what to put under the fondant on a dummy, i just spritz the dummy with water, dont' cost a thing!

Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I just cleaned off a dummy that was covered in fondant and edible images from 3 years ago and it still looked like i did it in the lat month. It doesn't get old, it just dries up (so it's rock hard-I just ran hot water over it to soften it up again and clean the dummy) I didn't have any issues with the colors fading, but it wasn't in a window with direct sunlight coming through.

You can also do a buttercream dummy and not have any issues either, i've seen these up to 2 years old, just leave out the flavorings since it's not getting eaten to save some cost.

As for what to put under the fondant on a dummy, i just spritz the dummy with water, dont' cost a thing!

Thanks that's alot of good info, I've never had to do it but now I know Thanks... thumbs_up.gif

LEHLA Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you very much ! I have just done a dummie cake for a contest and won 1st place with the Cake boss' sister and brother in law were the judges and I really wanted to keep it for awhile

elliespartycake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 14

Over a year ago I covered three dummies for a wedding display (off white fondant). I then changed the decorations to photograph it again for my portfolio. Last month I changed the decorations again to take the cake to the local farmer's market to attract attention to my booth. I had so many comment and compliments because it still looked so good. It's the cake dummy that keeps on giving icon_biggrin.gif .

MollyGirl_17 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:00am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

Nothing looks worse than a tired, dusty wedding cake.

This made me think of a supply shop I went to once. The first thing I saw when I walked in the door was an old, dusty, faded, just nasty looking display cake. I was completely grossed out and left soon after as the shop was just as unkept. I can't imagine what their baking/decorating room looked like. icon_sad.gif

Your display cake is the first impression, so it's worth keeping up!

graciesj Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 14

[quote="MollyGirl_17"][quote="Mexx"] Nothing looks worse than a tired, dusty wedding cake.
[/quote]

This made me think of a supply shop I went to once. The first thing I saw when I walked in the door was an old, dusty, faded, just nasty looking display cake. I was completely grossed out and left soon after as the shop was just as unkept. I can't imagine what their baking/decorating room looked like. icon_sad.gif

Your display cake is the first impression, so it's worth keeping up![/quote]

Thank-you very much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%