Smoothing Ganache

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 11:40am by Coral3

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:54am
post #1 of 6

So I managed to complete my first wedding cake for my gf on the weekend just gone.. I was really wrapt with the outcome. However, as we all know we learn as we go (especially us newbies!).. even though I was happy with the cake and really proud of my first effort, I would still like to perfect my ganache that I use under the fondant. You can see in the pictures the slight dents towards the edges of the cake.. even though subtle.. it annoys me that I can't get that perfect cut edge. How? How do I get the perfect ganache? I have read everything I can find on ganache here on the cc forums (and even googled until my eyes burnt!), but I just can't seem to get a clear explanation of how to get a smooth finish with great clean crisp edges that would create a fantastic coat of fondant. I would so much appreciate anyone willing to spare a bit of time to share their step by step process of applying and smoothing their ganache.. or maybe direct me to a link that already exists that I may have overlooked?! Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 6

A warm knife helps. I also have the best luck when my ganache is at room temp.

I use spackle and drywall knives because I seem to have more control and less stress on my wrist. Rub your finger on all the edges that will touch cake to check for snags.

Make sure you hand wash and dry, learned that lesson the hard way.

Foam paint rollers work beautifully on a crusting butter cream.

Other people swear by acetate strips. I've never been able to find them reasonably, so I can't attest to how well they work.

Hth.

I looked at your pics and your work is beautiful.

cutiepiecupcake Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply HowCoolGomo1
What do you mean about 'hand wash and dry'? are you referring to when you are checking for 'snags'.. sorry probably a lame question lol

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

Cutiepiecupcake, not lame at all. I was rushing and no one had answered you.

When you go to the hardware store, the spackle knives and drywall knives will probably be in different parts of the store. Grab an employee and drag that person with you.

Spackle knives, I started with the thin cheap flexible kind. Now I use a brand called Hyde. Heavier blade, more like a cake spatula. These I bought in 4" and 6" widths. My drywall knives are the same brand, if you aren't going to do a really tall tier; they probably aren't necessary. They do help with smoothing your icing on top.

Take your finger and lightly slide on each side at the edge and top of the blade where it will touch the icing. If you can feel a little knick it will show in your icing.

When cleaning up, hand wash and towel dry, so they don't get corroded.

Another thing I forgot is when the ganache is still warm and runny, that's when I crumb coat my layers. It seems to really help seal the cake and then I don't have as many issues when I do the final layer of ganache. That might help you with your edges. Make sure you fridge the cake before the final layer.

Your cake is beautiful. We are all our own worst critics.

You also gave me the kick in the pants I needed, I saw your dummy cake. (Beautiful!) I have 2 big birthday cakes due within the next 6 weeks. Making a dummy for both will save me a whole lot of headaches and I might actually be fun at both of the parties.

If you have any other questions, just pm.

cutiepiecupcake Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:28am
post #5 of 6

thanks so much for your help.. too kind icon_smile.gif off to the hardware!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 11:40am
post #6 of 6

There's a book called Planet Cake (by Paris Cutler *I think*) which has really good instructions for using ganache under fondant. (Planet Cake is actually a cake studio in Sydney, Australia and they ONLY make cakes with ganache under fondant)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%