Dummy Cakes????

Decorating By tink986201 Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 5:33am by howsweet

tink986201 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 11

I've done a dummy cake before it was the last cake for the wilton 3 decorating class, so I had help from my teacher. Basically what I'm asking is for any tips about making a dummy cake.

10 replies
lutie Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 11

I cover my dummy cakes in Crisco before decorating...makes it easier to wash off.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:53am
post #3 of 11

I cover mine with saran wrap and tape the bottom because I like the ease of just pulling it off and not having to wash the dummy, but make sure you pull the wrap tight and get all the bubbles out as they will show through. Then I just decorate as I normally would any other cake.

tink986201 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:14am
post #4 of 11

So what about dummy cakes for competitions?

Karen421 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 11

It would be the same, and you can start early. I like the Crisco method myself, but the saran wrap sounds interesting, I may try that. I also think covering dummies is easier than covering a real cake!

tink986201 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 11

When I did my first dummy cake, I was told to do royal icing first than cover it in fondant. Is that how I would do the crisco?

3GCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakesbyjen

I cover mine with saran wrap and tape the bottom because I like the ease of just pulling it off and not having to wash the dummy, but make sure you pull the wrap tight and get all the bubbles out as they will show through. Then I just decorate as I normally would any other cake.

I haven't had to do a dummy in a long time, but I wonder if Press N' Seal would work too.

Dayti Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 11

I have a board specially for dummies, it is about 1/2" thick and I screwed 3 long screws into it. I stab the dummies onto the screws to decorate. I found that otherwise the light weight of the dummy just made decorating so hard, it would wobble about all over the place. Once you are done decorating one dummy, lift it off carefully with a spatula or two, and start on the next one.

I liberally apply Crisco too. And soak them in the sink to get old fondant off, and then gently pry it away with a spatula, trying not to nick the styrofoam too much. I heard on here you can also wash them in the dishwasher (I guess once you've got most of the fondant off!)

tink986201 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you everybody for your tips, I like the screws in the board. I have a couple of more question, how do you keep the top tiers from moving? Will the crisco spoil? The dummy cake is for a competion in Feb.

lutie Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 11

I tried the saran wrap and it slipped too much for me...that does not mean it would do that for anyone else...I just seem to have those 'close encounters'...the Crisco keeps the dummy cake from absorbing the colors from the icing, fondant, etc.
Also, I find that the dummy cakes also do well in the dishwashers...do not let them go through the dry cycle icon_smile.gif

howsweet Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:33am
post #11 of 11

I just put the fondant directly on the dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%