Dummy Cakes

Decorating By dulcecakes Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm by Karen421

dulcecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcecakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 8

I am making 4 dummy cakes for a bridal show in January. I will be using a shortening based icing and satin ice fondant. I want to get started ASAP, but I am not sure if I should worry about the fondant looking dried out or cracking between now and then. So should I wait to cover the dummy cakes with fondant until January or would it be ok to cover them and get started now? And how long can I expect a dummy to last once it is covered?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 8

I have a dummy covered in fondant that's 5 years old. It's fine. HOWEVER, I always buy some Wilton fondant from Michaels or Hobby Lobby or JoAnnn's with a coupon. I would NOT use my good, edible SatinIce for a dummy. Also you can just spritz the dummy with a tiny mist of water and then the fondant will adhere. No need for bc.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 8

I smear the dummies up with shortening. If you ever want to pry the fondant off to reuse, it may help somewhat but it's still a bit of a job to chunk it off.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

i still have a cake here that i won a blue ribbon on for my first cake show.It is as pretty as it was then, just dusty. same flowers ,swags, etc. so get started on it now and you won,t regret it.

dulcecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcecakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:24am
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much for all the tips. That is a smart idea to get wilton...save a few $. And I never would have thought to spritz the dummys rather than make buttercream. I love to save time and money!

oliviasbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliviasbakery Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:53am
post #6 of 8

hello all together,

just a question because you said for a dummy you're using "only" wilton fondant. is that one of less quality? it's quiet difficult to get rolling fondant over here in austria/europe. so, I can get wilton, but prefer a swiss brand (massa ticino) called Carma. I did a dummy in advance for my in-laws 50. wedding anniversary. after a few weeks you could see a little difference because the already dried fondant looked a little dim. but with decoration on it absolutely no problem.

THX, olivia.

oliviasbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliviasbakery Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:01am
post #7 of 8

OMG just figured out how cheap satin ice from global sugar art is!!!!!

it's just 2.9dollar per pound. I pay - and that's cheap - 5.8dollar per pound for my swiss massa ticino IF i buy a minimum of 27.5 pounds.

if someone ever thinks about moving to europe: forget it!!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 8

Check Fondx - I believe it is actually cheaper than Wilton (38.00 per 10lbs) and it tastes so much better!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%