Sugar Gun Or Clay Craft Gun?

Decorating By idontknow Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 11:49am by idontknow

idontknow Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to purchase one of these and was wondering if there was any difference between the gun that is specifically a sugarcraft gun or is the clay/craft gun just the same? I only ask because the sugarcraft gun is about 3 times the price of the ordinary one so if it works the same way with sugarpaste/fondant etc then I'd rather not spend the extra money!

7 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:09am
post #2 of 8

A lot use the clay gun, myself included, and I love mine. I was in the same place as you when I was looking to buy something, so I opted for the cheaper clay gun and it has worked great!

olgaCake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:32am
post #3 of 8

I have had both guns. They are not the same. The fondant gun with red handle is way more expansive and way worse then regular clay gun. The red one broke in three months and it's really hard to work with, if your fondant is a little bit harder (I would say not as soft as usual) it's basically impossible to push it out. The regular clay gun (most of the time it's green) is very easy to work with, and when you twist the handle once the fondant keeps coming, so doesn't requiret as much effort as the other one. I hope it all make sense.

Sorelle Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #4 of 8

Im looking to buy one of these too. Can you give me a brand name? Thanks!

srkmilklady Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:40am
post #5 of 8

I use a clay gun also. But I make sure to cover my fondant with shortening before putting it into the gun. This was taught at a Lorraine McKay class I took when we were making "hair" for a gumpaste girl. The fondant or gumpaste comes out nice and smooth and easy! thumbs_up.gif

olgaCake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:44am
post #6 of 8

Brand Name is: Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder. They are all over ebay, I bought mine at local cake store.

srkmilklady Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:00am
post #7 of 8

I bought my extruder at Michael's. It is a Walnut Hollow clay extruder and it comes in a carry case with 20 disc designs. I like the handle on it much better than the Makin's. Plus I used a 50% off coupon! I tried to insert a pic, but it isn't working. If you go to Michael's website, they have a pic on there or Walnut Hollow has their own site also.

idontknow Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:49am
post #8 of 8

That's great everyone, I've seen the more expensive red-handled one that is specifically for sugarpaste and the barrel-type clay gun that doesn't have a handle, so I think I will go with the cheaper clay gun. There are a lot on ebay so just search there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%