Fondant On Gingerbread

Baking By LuluSweetArt Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 7:20am by LuluSweetArt

LuluSweetArt Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 12

Anybody have an idea what the best way to apply fondant to gingerbread would be? This is a very large structure and I am afraid that using water may weaken it some. I thought that royal icing might be a good alternative, add strength to the structure, but it just seems like that would add bulk and weight to a piece that is already a monster. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again all!

11 replies
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 12

For the gingerbread house in my pictures, I used a little water to glue on the fondant window trim. I also used water to lay the fondant floor on top of the gingerbread to look like tile.

G_Cakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #3 of 12

You could use some piping gel but not sure if the gel would be strong enough to hold any fondant that would be used verticaly on the gingerbread house.

I was watching fabulous cakes last night and they used fondant mixed with water to make a paste like substance for a cake... depending on how much water you add I am sure you could make a solid glue that would dry and hold up on the cake.

sweetflowers Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 12

I use shortening. Just brush it onto my cookie and apply the fondant.

cab333 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:10am
post #5 of 12

corn syrup?

GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 12

I used piping gel with just enough water to make it paintable to apply the fondant to my gingerbread project. It doesn't dry immediately, but leaves you enough time to remove the fondant piece if you are not happy with it without destroying your gingerbread.

I hope this helps!!!

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 12

I actually have used some white chocolate ganache that's been in the fridge. It's the perfect thickness and dries fast.

cakesrock Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 4:29am
post #8 of 12

What about making glue with water and gumpaste. It should hold well.

Rylan Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:20am
post #9 of 12

Amanda, remember that gingerbread house I showed you on Facebook? The whole thing was covered in fondant. All I did is use tylose glue. Fortunately, it didn't soften the gingerbread.

madgeowens Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:42am
post #10 of 12

what is tylose glue? tylose powder and water?

cakesrock Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 12
Originally Posted by madgeowens

what is tylose glue? tylose powder and water?

You can mix tylose powder (or gumtex powder - because tylose can be harder to find) with water to get the glue too. It's also used mixed with fondant( instead of gumpaste ). It will harden like gumpaste if you put enough in, but wont' dry out as fast. So, it's ideal when you are making something that takes a lot of time (figures etc). And you won't get those nasty creases!

LuluSweetArt Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:20am
post #12 of 12

Hey all. Thank you so much for all your help! I had an epiphany while helping my son with an art project. I watered down royal until it was the consistency of Elmer's glue. It dried fast, strengthened the structure, and wasn't too heavy. Thank you all for your support and help! I'll be posting pictures soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%