Daughters First Birthday - Cake Little Mermaid...help!

Decorating By ShiwaJewels Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm by michel30014

ShiwaJewels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShiwaJewels Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I need help, i want to make my daughter a birthday cake, i really want to do the little mermaid as she loves to swim, so suits her to a T...

I need some help with what to buy, when i should make it?

I'm gonna do a classic round cake, chocolate, and then chocolate buttercream frosting on the outside. But i wondered if the Blue Lustre Spray, is the way to start on getting the colour as a sea effect?

But after this i'm really stuck how do i make the little mermaid? Is there an easy way?

Please help, her partys on 4th december and id really love to do this for her, as it's more special coming from mum, than just a shop!

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiwaJewels

I need some help with what to buy, when i should make it?

If this is your first cake, buy a cake mix and everything listed on the back of the box that you'll need. If this is your first time decorating, you can bake it two days before the party and decorate it the day before.

Quote:

I'm gonna do a classic round cake, chocolate, and then chocolate buttercream frosting on the outside. But i wondered if the Blue Lustre Spray, is the way to start on getting the colour as a sea effect?

If you're going to try tinting chocolate buttercream blue with a spray, I don't see how that will work... you're better off tinting an entire batch of vanilla buttercream blue while it's still in your mixing bowl.

Quote:

But after this i'm really stuck how do i make the little mermaid? Is there an easy way?

Yes, the easy way... buy a plastic figurine and stick it on top.

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 4

The best way to get a nice water effect is with piping gel tinted blue, it will look a lot more realistic for water. I wouldn't do chocolate buttercream on the top. Look on this site for ideas for the little mermaid, I am sure you can find some that might work for you. Also, if you want to do some sand you can use crushed graham crackers, they look very realistic too.
I would bake the cakes maybe on wed and freeze them, make the icing and fillings on thur and assemble the whole thing on friday. That way if there is any tweeking you still have time before the saturday.
Good luck
Dina

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 4

I made a little mermaid cake where the mother bought a walmart kit and I worked it onto the cake. See below photo link. But, I did add a paper castle that I found on the internet, printed, cut and folded in the proper places and then set it on the cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1710611.html

I would just tint regular vanilla buttercream in a blue color like I did. Blue luster spray won't really work they way you are hoping. Sorry!

I'm not the best at using fondant however, if you have some experience you could make a fondant/gumpaste mermaid. But, that's up to you. You would need to see if you can google some instructions or check youtube for a tutorial on how to make people. Otherwise, I would just stick with a toy figurine. Good luck and HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%