A Few Questions On Fbct

Decorating By splymale Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm by TexasSugar

splymale Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 5

I've read the article, watched the tutorials, searched the forum, just have a few questions left....

1. Icing...for the outline do i have to use the Wilton Black in a tube? For the rest, do I have to use a butter/shortening combo?
I usually use all butter buttercream on cakes, can I use this?

2. How long can the transfer sit in the freezer?

3. How long can it sit on the cake at room temp?

4. I'm driving this cake about 3.5 hours away in early morning & want to do as much as I can the night before. Can I do the whole thing the night before? Keep it in fridge or room temp?

My concern is bleeding and condensation.

Thanks!!!
Jessica

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 5

1. I've always used my regular all crisco buttercream. I've never used the wilton icing in a tube for it. Your all buttercream icing will be just fine for it.

2. It needs atleast 20-30 mins in the freezer, but you can keep it in there longer. If you are keeping it in there for a period of time, just cover it well or if it is small enough put it in a ziplock bag.

3. Once it is on the cake, it is like any other decoration that you put on it. If you are worried about bleeding and condenstation, after it comes out of the freeze smooth a viva paper towel over it. That will help absorb any moisture on it.

4. If you don't have anything in it that has to be put in the fridge, then it is perfectly fine to leave out. Do it before you leave, save yourself some time and stress when you get there. icon_smile.gif

beckback Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 5

I just recently did a large FBCT (http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=186191icon_cool.gif Like Texas Sugar I used all Crisco Buttercream and none of the tubed frosting. Because it was so large and I wanted to make sure it stayed together when I flipped I froze mine overnight and used flat cookie sheets to aid in the flip and placement. I have found that it is best to not pull the FBCT out of the freezer until you are ready to use it, the frosting softens fast and can be a disaster. I have had no issues with condensation but agree with Texas Sugar that just a pat with a paper towel would take care of any.

Good luck!

splymale Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your responses! I think I will use all crisco to be on the safe side, put the whole thing together the night before, and leave it on the counter overnight.
Thanks again!
Jess

TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 5

I mentioned that I used all crisco to show you that there isn't just one recipe of buttercream that works for it. Your all butter recipe should work just fine. I wouldn't make a separate batch just for a FBCT. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%