Problem With My Buttercream Icing--Help

Baking By BakedCT Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 10:49am by AnnieCahill

BakedCT Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

Ive been using this buttercream recipe and it comes out fine when I dont add food colouring. but the minute i add gel food coloring it goes all blotchy and looks horrible, almost as if its splitting?? And i dont know what I did wrong

Is it the colouring? I have been using gel food colouring from Americolor. Am i over beating it? I am using a Planetary Mini Industrial Cake mixer...i thought its my mixer but I even tried beating the ingredients with the machine and then using a spatula to add the colouring but that didnt help. Its so frustrating.

Can anyone help me out?

4 replies
tastyart Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 5

Are you saying that the color is blotchy in the frosting? How old is your color? I had some that got pretty old and it clumped and wouldn't mix in properly. HTH

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 5

What is the icing recipe? Is your icing soft or thin to start with? And are you making dark colors?

BakedCT Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:49am
post #4 of 5

They are new bottles of coloring. The recipe is 125g butter,250g icing sugar and 1 Tablespoon milk and optional 1 tsp vanilla.

I've tried making violet and then lastnight I made bright pink. The colour does mix through but its not smooth (difficult to explain) it just looks blotchy. I am thinking now if it isn't my mixer, before when I've made red and black icing it came out fine but then I used my hand mixer as my stand mixer was broken. Now that my stand mixer is fixed I've been using that-could it be too powerful? I'm actually going to try a batch with my hand mixer using the same colouring. Will post what happens.
Thanks

AnnieCahill Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:49am
post #5 of 5

I think it's Americolor. It happens to me with blue and green. I am going to switch to Chefmaster and see if that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%