Eiffel Tower Topper, How Would You....

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 2:13am by sweetcakes

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 8

make this? Ive considered several ways of doing this, carving rice crispy treat, piping in royal, cutting from GP or mexican paste. I need to make it with about a 5" square base and ill probably need to make a paper pattern first so i can see what angle the bottom part has. Then i can pipe in the lines. Just cant make up my mind which route to take. what do you think??

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 8

I'd buy a metal one (actually, I'd ask the customer to buy one) and put it on the cake. To make an edible one, for me, would cost an ENORMOUS amount of $$.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 8

I love to try new things but I would try to do it out of melting chocolate. If you will be making a pattern for the design why couldn't you use melted chocolate, and pipe lines, let it set and than pipe together with more melted chocolate. I would also probley try to do a 3D tower but hicker if its just a single layer. Just my thought if all else fails melt it again for something else...lol

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 8

I recommend rice krispie treats. They are so forgiving and you want them to set up so you can carve--they don't break like the other mediums.

I'd make the general shape--let it set up overnight and then carve it. If you have a good concept of how it slopes and is angled it should not take very long. It's a strangely angled structure. Then I'd dip it in chocolate and pipe it. Or pipe it first then dip either way.

As far as the ribbles on rkt. I either whirl them in the food processor before I make them. Or I take a zester and smooth it all off after I make the item. In this case I would whirl them because of the angles involved in the finished tower would not lend well to being zested/scraped off.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I agree...I would use chocolate, if you feel like it absolutely must be edible.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 8

Eiffel Tower seems straightforward--but the angles not only curve up they slope in and this would be muy challenging in chocolate--I mean unless you had a mold. Chocolate would be brutal. Unless you had a form to mold it too. The degree of diffulculty here is high.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 8

thank you, all great ideas, i have been able to cut out a 3d model using the cricut (summer in paris cartridge). My plan was to assemble the model and then cut out the same in pastillage or mexican paste and layer over the model so it can dry with the right angels, thats my plan anyway, ill probably make one out of rkt anyway as a back up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%