How Long Do You Think It Will Take To Make A Cake Like This?

Decorating By deliciabale Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 2:59am by madgeowens

deliciabale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciabale Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 12

I am kind of new to making bigger cakes. How long do you think it will take to make a cake like this and decorate it? It is for a project and I have 2 hours one day and another 2 the next day. Also I will use ready to roll icing and colour it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1236526

11 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 12

This looks like it would go pretty quickly. Two hours for baking and two hours for decorating. The most time consuming would be coloring the fondant, black and that deep pink will take some time. If you could find an assistant for coloring I think it's doable.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 12

I agree, it seems the hardess part would be the fondant bow tomake sure it sets is going to take the longest, if it does not harden a little it will collaps. I would do that first thing and possibly cut the stripes (but they can be done later too) but after that it would be a piece of cake... no pun inteaded lol icon_smile.gif

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 12

I think it depends on how experience you are with working with fondant. The first time I did a cake like that it took me alot longer than four hours. If you can color your fondant ahead of time than it might work. Adding the zebra stripes took longer than I anticipated, but keep in mind I do this as a hobby.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 12

If you make your bow and balls while the cakes are baking, you should be able to ice, fondant, and add the zebra stripes the next day. If you aren't very fast, skilled, or confident in your timeline, you might need to allow yourself additional time.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 12

That bow is going to take longer than a day to dry enough to use. I would do it at leat a few days ahead. The border on that cake looks like it is buttercream. I would use fondant pearls and you can make those when you make the bow and let it all dry.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 12

By "ready to roll icing" do you mean fondant? If so, is it possible to use gumpaste for the bow or does part of the project limit you to fondant? I don't think that overnight will be long enough for fondant to harden, even with added tylose but I think if you use straight gumpaste, and roll it thin enough it would dry enough.

My timeline would be
Day one: Mix and bake, while baking color gumpaste and make bow loops, mix up buttercream, color fondant and start making balls, cool cakes in freezer, continue making balls, tort, fill, crumbcoat cakes, if time allows finish making balls and dye fondant black for tomorrow.

Day two: ice cake and stick in the fridge for as long as possible while I roll out black and cut "stripes" with my pizza cutter, then Roll out white, cover chilled cakes and apply stripes with a little tylose mixed with water. add ball border and assemble the bow with melted (pink) chocolate using compressed air to help it set quickly

laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:15am
post #8 of 12

I agree with using gumpaste or fondant with tylose and making those bows as early as possible.

Also, a tip I read on here about making the balls a consistent size was to roll out your icing to a certain thickness (the thickness will determine the size of the balls) and then use a circle cutter (or any cutter really) and use that icing to make the balls. This way you end up with balls of the same size. I did this the second time I had to do them and it was so much quicker!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 12

You can make the bow at least a week in advance. Buy the hot pink and black fondant. Easy. SatinIce sells those colors.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #10 of 12

First 2 Hours
#1- mix and bake cakes
#2 - mix pink up with some tylose, use a ruler and a pizza cutter to cut the bow loops and assemble them. place them on their sides on a covered cookie sheet
#3 - mix black, spray with pam and wipe to make shiny. use a pizza cutter to whiz through the zebra strips. place them on a cookie sheet lined a sheet of plastic wrap that has been sprayed lightly with oil. Layer with additional plastic wrap between the layers and on top.

Last 2 Hours
#1 fondant cakes
#2 lightly mist LIGHTLY MIST the cake with water (one at a time)
#3 attach pre-cut stripes on the cakes
#4 dowel/support and stack
#5 shapen, measure, and insert the center down through to the base
#6 assemble bow

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:15am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguerrant

#4 dowel/support and stack
#5 shapen, measure, and insert the center down through to the base

Duh, I completely forgot to assemble them in my time line

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #12 of 12

I would absolutely make the bow a week in advance.....takes the pressure away then its easy peazy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%