Do You Think These Roses Are Real? Or Edible?

Decorating By NikiH Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm by NikiH

NikiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikiH Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 12

Hi. I'm new here, and new to cake decorating. I have a friend of a friend who has asked me about making this cake. Can you give me your opinion as to if you think these rose petals are real, or edible? Also, the black dripping down, what is that made of? I need this to feed 200 people and am thinking that the price for this should be $800 ($4 pp x 200 ppl). Do you think that's fair?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure you experts get asked this stuff all the time, but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks,

Niki[/img]

11 replies
NikiH Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry, pic didn't attach....

http://www.daydreamwedding.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

Its the cake at the bottom with the roses all over it.

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 12

They look like real rose petals to me. The stuff dripping down looks like ganache IMHO. icon_smile.gif

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 12

Looks like fudge sauce dripping to me. Rose petals look like fondant. A real rose petal would have more light shading at the base of the petal.

Cake looks yummy.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 12

I thought they were real rose petals, but I'm no expert. Regardless of what it actually is, using real roses would save you a whole lot of time (and possibly frustration over getting such a deep red) over making petals. And I thought it was ganache dripping on the sides as well, which is probably about the same as fudge sauce. If you need a recipe for ganache, it's really pretty easy to make. Just search for ganache in recipes.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 12

Petals look real to me, drippings dark ganache. My opinion is that fudge won't harden as ganache does, my recipe of fudge will be soft all the time putting cake at risk if the venue is warm. Of course it all depends on the recipe used.

Adecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adecakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 12

I believe those are real rose petals, it is a very deep red, and the dripping is chocolate ganache, fudge would have dripped all the way to the bottom.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 12

If you do the cake and make the rose petals from fondant or gumpaste...I would definately charge the 4.00 per slice...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 12

I vote for ganache and real rose petals.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with Boozebabe My other job is designing flowers, in nature you have more variation of color and shape.
The price depends where you live, $4.00/ serving is fair where I'm from

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 12

Here's a very similar cake.
quote: This amazing three-tiered wedding cake is iced in pure white buttercream. Chocolate ganache seductively drips down each tier. The fresh red Rose cake topper contrast beautifully with the white buttercream and chocolate ganache. Rose petals are used artistically as the borders of each tier. :unquote
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abccakeshopnm/3507617411/

NikiH Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks guys. Like every other newbie, I'm just not sure of my prices. I've been looking at other posts and website. Some people say go by your time & cost of ingredients x 2 or 3, others say by the slice.

Your right, real rose petals would be easier. I haven't done ganache before. Wouldn't be so bad to test it out huh? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%