I'm Hoping I Don't Lose My Cake Love...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 10:05pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 5

I have been into baking/decorating cakes since about May 2010. I've spent a fortune, and having fun. (strictly a hobby as I work full time). My life has been so wildly out of control in the past month, that I don't know when I'll ever be able to get my head above the water in order to do anything fun like cakes - for a long time. Just put my father in a home, and then my mother moved in with us. Now my father had a new stroke since we placed him there, etc, etc, etc.

I miss doing cakes, and understand that some day, the dust should settle enough for me to have time for enjoyable activities again. I'm just hoping that I don't lose the cake desire along in the meantime.

Right before all this started, I'd just made a decision on the direction I'd take my cakes, and was hoping to spend time perfecting buttercream skills and the dreaded PIPING. Now, I just want everyone in my house to have clean underwear to wear.......

4 replies
CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 5

Good morning KayMC,

I'm really sorry to hear about your father. I hope he gets better soon. Sometimes life just trow us a monkey wrench and we have to deal with. With the Holidays just around the corner is also very overwhelming. Due to the situation, you may have to put your cakes on hold for a little bit until things settle down a bit but remember, they will. Your cakes are beautiful and I can tell you really put yourself into them. I don't think you will loose interest in cakes. When I was a small child, I got one of those kids baking oven things ( I was so long ago I don't even remember the name of it). Anyway, that was my first time baking!!!! As I got older, I did a few cakes with my aunt and really enjoyed it. But live goes one,,finished school, moved tho the US! Became a business owner ( not cakes) had a son, and like I said,,,life happens. Now, 25 years later since I got here, my son is 11, and I'm looking to retire from my nail salon business. Guess what? The cake bug bit me again! This time reallly hard. Now Im able to dedicate myself to it while still running my salon. My goal is to next year do cakes full time but it has taking me over a year to get where I'm now.
The time may not be right for you now but things will get better.
Hang in there
thumbs_up.gif

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 5

Hi - I'm walking in the same shoes you are. Have had my 91 yr old mother with me for the last 15 months. She needs to be in a nursing home, but the waiting times are so long. I work full time and try to do cakes as a hobby. I know what it's like not to have any time for yourself. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who pulls more than his share of the workload. I've started to eke out some time just for me. Sometimes you have to be a little "selfish", and boy, do I miss my life. Try to get family members to help take on some household chores or visit with your mum/dad to give you some time for yourself. Ask for it...and take it; you'll burn out if you don't.

Don't lose your love for making cakes....it'll keep you sane when it seems like your life is spinning out of control.

Take care.

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 5

I think once the cake seed has been planted, that's it, It'll always be there. I've read a few threads on here, where people have said they've taken 10 year breaks, for various reasons, and eventually managed to get back into it.

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's ill health, it must be a huge strain on you at the moment, it's a very stressful thing to have to deal with. I can understand a little, my own father had a T.I.A, early this year, and my mum was just last year diagnosed with MS. Although we're not in the exact same position as you, and my parents are still able to live independently in their own home, they do still need additional help from me, which is at times tricky to keep all the plates spinning at once.
I have 3 boys, the youngest is 18months, so it's hard to find time to be caking. I usually can't even start until 9pm, which will continue until the wee hours and sometimes all night. DH thinks I am crazy, but caking is like a bug, and I just love it so much.
However I recently decided that it would be wise to put down one of the plates, and take a "cake break" it's just not possible to fit it all in.
So for the moment I'm making do with popping in here to Cc every couple of days to keep me going. When the wee man is a bit bigger and off to nursery, then I can get back to it. But for now, sometimes its wise to see to the basics, it's just sensible survival really. Burnout would be no good to anyone. I know exactly what you mean about just making sure there's clean underwear for everyone!
I know it's dissapointing to have to (temporarily) give up a hobby that you love so much, I feel your frustration, I really envy other people who have other family members to help out.
Hang in there, I hope things even out and improve for you soon.
Sending you lots of cyber hugs.
Mama D

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the nice comments! My (adult) daughter sent a lovely email to me this week. She'd flown in to Philly for a wedding this past weekend. While the food was great, she said the cake was really disgusting in taste. Beautiful, but nasty to eat. (Fondant covered, of course). Then she said, "It couldn't begin to hold a candle to any of your cakes." How lovely! It made my day! Makes me realize I really DO want to continue making deliscious cakes, and will try to find time to increase my decorating skills when the dust settles. Thanks again...........Kay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%