Another Stupid Question

Decorating By heroes Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm by -K8memphis

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:23am
post #1 of 7

When you say about dam a cake, does it mean when you put your buttercream filling in, do you pipe a stiffer consistency around the edge of the cake to stop the buttercrean bulging, so to speak?

Karen xx

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:28am
post #2 of 7

Thats excactly what it means icon_smile.gif and there are no stupid questions Heroes, every one has to learn some where icon_smile.gif X

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:08am
post #3 of 7

You don't need a dam of buttercream if you are just filling with buttercream. You need a dam of BC when you are filling with things that may leak out, for instance fruit fillings, curds or mousses etc

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:25am
post #4 of 7

I use a dam even when just filling with buttercream because I use it as a guide to get my filling to an en even height - but you don't need it for it's intended purpose.

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:19am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

Thats excactly what it means icon_smile.gif and there are no stupid questions Heroes, every one has to learn some where icon_smile.gif X

Sorry I didn't mean this post to sound derogatory of anybody else, I just meant a stupid question for me to ask icon_redface.gif , I would never be patronising about anybody asking a question on cc. thankyou for your answers, I now know what it means lol xx icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:31am
post #6 of 7

you really didnt sound derogatory at all . . and i just meant that, even for you, it wasnt a stupid question, you know, we all started out somewhere , so everyones got to learn, so its not stupid . . the only stupid question is the one you dont ask because you think its stupid! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 7

Using this extra stiff icing is not something that any bakery I've ever worked at--nine of them over the years including my own--ever used. We just used the same icing we covered the cake with. I realize it's a small amount I guess but it seems like another aspect of the cake portion that people might tend to leave on their plates, next to the fondant. Why? It's not necessary.

I use really slippery fillings even in topsy turvys and I've never cemented my fillings in with powedered sugar overload.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%