Another Stupid Question

Decorating By heroes Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm by -K8memphis

heroes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:23am
post #1 of 7

When you say about dam a cake, does it mean when you put your buttercream filling in, do you pipe a stiffer consistency around the edge of the cake to stop the buttercrean bulging, so to speak?

Karen xx

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:28am
post #2 of 7

Thats excactly what it means icon_smile.gif and there are no stupid questions Heroes, every one has to learn some where icon_smile.gif X

pattycakesnj Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:08am
post #3 of 7

You don't need a dam of buttercream if you are just filling with buttercream. You need a dam of BC when you are filling with things that may leak out, for instance fruit fillings, curds or mousses etc

tsal Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:25am
post #4 of 7

I use a dam even when just filling with buttercream because I use it as a guide to get my filling to an en even height - but you don't need it for it's intended purpose.

heroes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:19am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

Thats excactly what it means icon_smile.gif and there are no stupid questions Heroes, every one has to learn some where icon_smile.gif X

Sorry I didn't mean this post to sound derogatory of anybody else, I just meant a stupid question for me to ask icon_redface.gif , I would never be patronising about anybody asking a question on cc. thankyou for your answers, I now know what it means lol xx icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:31am
post #6 of 7

you really didnt sound derogatory at all . . and i just meant that, even for you, it wasnt a stupid question, you know, we all started out somewhere , so everyones got to learn, so its not stupid . . the only stupid question is the one you dont ask because you think its stupid! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 7

Using this extra stiff icing is not something that any bakery I've ever worked at--nine of them over the years including my own--ever used. We just used the same icing we covered the cake with. I realize it's a small amount I guess but it seems like another aspect of the cake portion that people might tend to leave on their plates, next to the fondant. Why? It's not necessary.

I use really slippery fillings even in topsy turvys and I've never cemented my fillings in with powedered sugar overload.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%