Handling Fresh Cakes

Decorating By zespri Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 11:16am by pattycakesnj

zespri Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:21am
post #1 of 4

I have been unsure how to handle cakes when I want to take them out of the tin. At the moment I am putting a wire rack on top of the tin, then tipping it out upside down onto the rack, then putting another on the bottom, and flipping it. Is that the correct way?

Now, when I'm ready to level it, I want it on a flat surface, not a wire rack. What's the correct way to transfer it to my counter top? And once it's on my counter top, what's the correct way to move it onto the plastic wrap?

I have had a few cake sides coming away, and I think I'm not being gentle enough so need to find out if there are tricks of the trade!

3 replies
brincess_b Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:54am
post #2 of 4

your way sounds pretty good! you could use the same idea to get it on the couter top, or slide something flat under it to lift it - cake board, baking tray, spatula type thing.....
it might be your recipe is just fragile, not great for handlng, not that you arent being gentle.

bobhope Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:51am
post #3 of 4

i usually run an angled spatula around sides of cake, put a flat cookie sheet on top, flip it upside down..once the cake is out onto the cookie sheet, i place the wire rack on the cake again & flip it upside down..i use a cake lifter to transfer my cake onto the kitchen counter top...same way when i need to move it onto a plastic wrap =)...

pattycakesnj Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:16am
post #4 of 4

I use a cake lifter (or 2) to transfer my cake from the cooling rack to the counter for levelling and torting

Quote by @%username% on %date%