Help! My Loops Are Still Soft After 24 Hrs.!!

Decorating By MyaLunaMx Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 1:34pm by MyaLunaMx

MyaLunaMx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyaLunaMx Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:16am
post #1 of 5

Hello everybody!
I'm not new to this site, I learned a lot just reading your comments and watching pictures... but I've just joined today because I'm in desperate need of help!
I've seen many video tutorials on how to make a loop bow and I think I got the instructions right. But, yesterday I made one loop to try it and today it's still soft!! icon_surprised.gif
I used fondant, I don't think I might be able to get some gumpaste here in Mexico. I do have however, a container of Wilton Gum-Tex. I bought it one day from a store that sometimes imports this kind of stuff. I was told that I could add it to fondant to make it harder but.... will it work?
I have to deliver a cake on Saturday with a loop bow and I'm sooo scared!!

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:47am
post #2 of 5

Yes, it will work. It might take 24 hours to dry, but it will help to harden it.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:50am
post #3 of 5

If you cant get tylose then the wilton should be ok. I have read it is not as strechy as using tylose, but it will harden your fondant which is waht you need

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 5

Straight fondant loops can take a week to dry. Fondant isn't really made to create bow loops with. Gumpaste is ideal, but a very good substitute is 50/50 - 50% gumpaste + 50% fondant. The mixture retains some workability from the fondant, but will dry hard from the gumpaste. Knead the dry W Gum-Tex right into the fondant. I can't tell you exactly how much, but it will work.

MyaLunaMx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyaLunaMx Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everybody, you are so nice!

Unfortunately, I'm running out of time and just for this time, I gave up. (I added the GumTex and it was still soft after another 24 hrs, I guess humidity is a big issue in my city or, as Leah said, it will take a week to harden).

I ordered a clay bow just so I can deliver the cake this Saturday... shame on me, I know, but I'd rather explain to my client why she will be able to keep her bow forever than tell her that I couldn't bring it icon_redface.gif

So, I REALY need to learn how to make gumpaste, since I can't buy it. Time to surf through these forums!! icon_wink.gif

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%