I'm In Icing Hell.

Baking By cakelady2266 Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 4:58am by cakelady2266

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:28am
post #1 of 6

Is anyone else having trouble with icing lately? My icing has been giving me problems since I got my last 50lb bag of powered sugar at Costco. I'm still using the same jug of flavoring and box of shortening, the powered sugar is the only thing new. Should I add some corn starch to the sugar or what? Help!!!!

5 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:42am
post #2 of 6

What is the problem exactly? Gritty, thick, thin , taste funny? Let us know the issue and we'll see if we can helpicon_smile.gif I hate when icing goes wrong.

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:59am
post #3 of 6

As usual I ice my cakes frozen, I use hi ratio shortening and Magic Lines butter vanilla flavoring in the icing. Ever since I started making my icing with the hi ratio shortening my cakes don't sweat while thawing. But since I got this last sack of sugar they have been sweating and the icing is sticky and they seem to be taking longer to thaw. I have the dehumidifier on as well. So I have to think is has something to do with the sugar. What do you think?

sillywabbitz Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:06am
post #4 of 6

Hmmm, when did you buy the sugar? Would it be about the same time the weather started to change? I'm not sure why a different batch of PS would cause the sweating but I'm no scientist so I could be totally wrong. I know hi ratio does a better job of taking liquid which explains why it originally stopped the sweating. I wish I had some scientific magic answer for you. My only thought is that you could buy a small bag of named brand PS and make a test batch. If that doesn't sweat the you know the PS is the culprit. Wish I was more help.

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:22am
post #5 of 6

I got the sugar a week ago and it's the same brand as usual. I just bought it at a different Costco. We always sift it and put it in buckets and I did notice that this sack was really soft and not lumpy, it barely needed sifting at all. And since I live in Alabama it may be 70 today and 40 tomorrow. I don't have a clue what to do but I hope this is a isolated incident. I'm glad I just bought one bag.

cakelady2266 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #6 of 6

I used some of this powdered sugar in a glaze for a applesauce cake I made for the family on Thanksgiving. It was a mess. I had to add twice as much sugar as it called for and it still was not right. So when I made icing for birthday cakes this weekend I decided to try a little cornstarch in with it. It worked like a charm. I guess they just didn't put enough cornstarch in it at the factory. So if anybody has this problem try adding about a teaspoon or so to a pound of powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%