Whats Your Favorite Dish To Make For Thanksgiving?

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 1:21am by bobwonderbuns

madgeowens Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 23

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 23

By far my sweet potato pudding. Cream the potatoes with some sugar, evap milk, butter and put on a crumbly top of butter, flour and chopped pecans. MMMMMMMMMMMM

Jayde Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 23

My grandmother's recipe for sweet potatoes. She boils them until just tender, lets them cool, and then frys slices of them in butter, brown sugar and vanilla until they get all caramelized. Then she topped them with chopped pecans fried for just a few minutes in the rest of the sugar goo, as we call it, and then you pour the mess over the sweet potatoes.

My aunt likes marshmallows on top of that, but I think she's crazy. Its perfect without them.

Children Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #4 of 23

I LOVE my families dressing......but then the green bean cassereole is pretty amazing too!! icon_biggrin.gif

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!

Jennifer1970 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:53am
post #5 of 23

Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole

Yield-18 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)
Ingredients
  14 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
  1/2 cup half-and-half
  1/2 cup maple syrup
  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  3/4 teaspoon salt
  1 large egg, lightly beaten
  Cooking spray
  1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients (half-and-half through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture.
Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are thoroughly heated.

MissBlu Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 23

I am in charge of dessert.... Butternut Squash Pie... the about southern recipe is yummy!

ccc407 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:48am
post #7 of 23

When Thanksgiving is at my house (not so much anymore), my favorite thing to make is old fashioned bread stuffing (before it was fancied up to the title of "dressing")...no oysters, sausage, etc. in it...just old fashioned bread stuffing.

When dining at relatives homes, their request to me is cream puffs (favorite of my sons-in law, brothers, and nephews particularly), and since they can't tell the difference when I make the pudding/custard from scratch or use the cook before using box of pudding, I just cheat and use the cooked boxed pudding. Easy enough to make and people think it took all day. Love to make homemade cream puffs!!

madgeowens Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 23

wow these recipes and dishes sound fantastic.....

icer101 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:57am
post #9 of 23

I love to make chicken dressing like my mama use to. My family loves it.

LNW Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 23

Ive only had cream puffs once. It was at a church function. They had a big chocolate fountain going with various things to dip into it and cream puffs were one of them. Like little bites of creamy heaven.

Weve been hosting dinner at our home for both of our families for 4 years now. Every year the thing that flies off my counter is the hash brown casserole.

1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed  
1/2 cup melted butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
1/4 cup melted butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup melted butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Place mixture in a 3 quart casserole dish.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté cornflakes in 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole.
4. Bake covered in preheated oven for 40 minutes.

I use crumbled up Ritz crackers (or whatever butter crackers you prefer) instead of the cereal. I think it tastes better that way.

mbark Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #11 of 23

dessert!! lol
I am making creme brulee cheesecake & pecan pie bars

Lita829 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #12 of 23

Baked Macaroni and Cheese (the SOUL FOOD version). YUMMMMMMMMM icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:43am
post #13 of 23

The pumkin pie! It's my Yaya's (grandmother's) recipe and has been my favorite forever. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:15am
post #14 of 23

omg did I forget to say....name your favorite dish with the recipe lol .....I think I gained 5 lbs reading this

I have so many.........

baked corn
new york style cheese cake

CookieD-oh Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:50am
post #15 of 23

I love to make my grandma's sweet potatoes. They have brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, marshmallows and pineapple. I've not seen another sweet potato recipe with pineapple. Does anyone else make them that way?

GrandmaG Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:18pm
post #16 of 23

LNW, I make that casserole too and everybody requests it! Try using Durkee's Onions on top instead of the corn flakes. Wonderful!

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:40pm
post #17 of 23

Rosemarry Sourdough stuffing... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Jayde Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:45am
post #18 of 23

I make a GF stuffing, mostly for myself every year since I cannot eat wheat products anymore.

I make it old school like my grandmother used to, i.e. leave the bread out overnight, lots of carrots, onions, celery and garlic browned in copius amounts of butter, fresh chicken stock made at home (this is made ahead and freeze), but the absolute most awful ingredient is chicken livers. She cooked them in a stick of real butter on low until they were just cooked through. Then she diced them small and mixed them in with the rest of the stuffing. I know it sounds horrible but it is DELICIOUS!

For years I made stuffing recipe after stuffing recipe for my husband's family TG and for years I took home hoards of leftovers because no one liked it. Oyster stuffing, cornbread, vegetable, nuts, no nuts, dried fruit, no dried fruit. One year I got fed up and made my stuffing recipe for the whole family. They still rave over the stuffing and I did not take one single spoonful home.

Elcee Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:12am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I make it old school like my grandmother used to, i.e. leave the bread out overnight, lots of carrots, onions, celery and garlic browned in copius amounts of butter, fresh chicken stock made at home (this is made ahead and freeze), but the absolute most awful ingredient is chicken livers. She cooked them in a stick of real butter on low until they were just cooked through. Then she diced them small and mixed them in with the rest of the stuffing. I know it sounds horrible but it is DELICIOUS!

Jayde, except for the GF part, this is how I made stuffing until I stopped eating meat 13 years ago. Most people didn't even recognize that there was liver in there (I used the turkey liver, not chicken) but they RAVED about how delicious it was. I don't miss much from my meat-eating days, but that stuffing is certainly one!

madgeowens Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:27am
post #20 of 23

My stuffing is bread cubes,onion,celery,egg salt and pepper.....thats it.............never enough icon_smile.gif

SuzyNoQ Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #21 of 23

I don't really have a favorite, but dh's aunt has been hosting it the last several years (due to hunting season and proximity to where the guys hunt) and I am making the rolls becouse she loves my rolls, I have a recipie similar to the Goldebn Corral rolls.

decoratingfool Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #22 of 23

Thanksgiving for me is all about the sweet potatoes, LOVE em, in mine i put brown sugar, butter, and some orange pineapple juice,whipped up baked and then topped with marshmallows, yummmy now i cant wait until tomorrow!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:21am
post #23 of 23

I'd say this about sums it up for me:

"TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING"

Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.
I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.
The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat and white,
But I fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation,
The thought of a snack became infatuation.
So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,
Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.
I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
'Til all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky,
With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.
But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees....
Happy eating to all, pass the cranberries, please.

May your stuffing be tasty, your turkey be plump.
Your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious, your pies take the prize.
May your Thanksgiving dinner stay off of your thighs

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%