Store Bought Vs Home Made Cake

Decorating By LillyCakes Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm by KoryAK

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Kory, what is the chiffon method?

Whipping the egg whites with some of the sugar (meringue), mixing the rest of the ingredients together separately, then folding the two mixtures together.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonliter

has anyone tried the cake enhancer that king arthur flour/baker's catalog has recently put in their catalog? i know they test everything they offer so it sounds promising.

i'll give you a tip for scratch baking that can make a fluffier cake, beat each egg very,very well separately and in a separate glass bowl (a metal bowl won't work as the egg reacts with the metal), add it into the batter separately and mix, one at a time. Even if the batter is in a metal bowl this will still help alot. I recently saw a stand mixer with a glass bowl somewhere and I thought that would be perfect for cakes.

You may have even better luck using a plastic bowl. If the effect you are going for is to incorporate some air into the eggs, then glass is the worst to use. The glass is slick and the proteins can't stick to the side and get pulled (whipping is pulling, stretching, and tangling the proteins to trap air) the way they need to be. Personally, I use metal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%