Homemade Lady Fingers?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 5:54pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 8

Anyone have experince making these? And do you think you could just pour/pipe it in the bottom of a spring form and bake them that way, instead of in the actual finger shapes?

I'm thinking of making a Tiramisu-ish cheese cake. The recipes I have found online have you crush up store bought ladyfingers and mix with butter and coffee liqueor.

I'm thinking if possible I want to skip that, just bake them in the pan and drizzle with kalua. Does anyone know if this will work?

This is the recipe I found.
http://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2010/07/15/homemade-ladyfingers-when-all-i-wanted-was-tiramisu/

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 8

Yes the recipe I used had potato starch in it.
It appealed to my curious side.
This is not the recipe I used but it was something like this.

http://askville.amazon.com/recipe-Savoiardi-cookies-Italian-find-bakery-sold/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=9866335

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 8

i don't know if it would work or not, but the tiramisu cake i made i just used a sponge cake (chiffon, but i've seen people use angel food cake too)... you could buy an angel food cake and crumble that up.... as for lady fingers i made standard ones a couple of times, from my experience you need to be extremely gentle folding otherwise you end up with very flat fingers! in the case of using the batter in the bottom of a cheesecake pan, i would think lady fingers are too delicate for that. i can post the recipe if you want, it's out of a baking book from college! oh how i love tiramisu! i'd love to know too how this all turns out and what you use!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 8

I had to make some a while ago when I couldn't find any. Here's the link, there's a recipe link in this blog post. They're pretty easy to make. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/09/ladyfingers-are-pretty-hard-to-find.html

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 8

The one I had at Cheesecake Factory had a soft cakey crust, which is why I'd like to avoid the lady finger crumbs mixed with butter that I found in the other recipes.

As of right now I think I am going to bake the lady fingers in the pan tonight, let it sit over night to dry out a bit, so they don't get too mush when I had the coffee simple syrup. If it flattens a bit after I add the cheesecake mixture, I think it will be okay. It will just be more compact which is what you would have if you did crumbs/butter. And if after they are baked I think they won't work, I can always crumbing it up at that point.

I'm hoping it isn't a flop, but if all else fails and it doesn't turn out well, I'll just save it to freeze and snack on the cheesecake part of it. icon_wink.gif Which sounds like a win win, since cheesecake and tiramisu are two out of my three favorite desserts. Of course my waist probably won't like it much.

Costumeczar, this recipe is very similar to the one I found, execpt it has less sugar in it. I've printed it out as well.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Costumeczar, this recipe is very similar to the one I found, execpt it has less sugar in it. I've printed it out as well.

It was really easy to pipe these out, so if the pan doesn't work you could try piping them (if oyu hav time) Just adjust the baking time to make them softer/crispier, obviously. I think that when I did those I ended up putting some of them back in a slow oven to dry them out a little after they had cooled off, because I needed them crispy. It worked fine, so that recipe is pretty forgiving icon_rolleyes.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 8

I found a perfect recipe for lady fingers in an older french pastry book.
I have made tiramisu with them twice in the last six months and its perfect- havent had that good of tiramisu since I lived in Italy.
When I get home I will copy it out for you if you want.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 8

I'm planning on making the lady fingers tonight after class. I may just go ahead and do it both ways, just in case, depends on how my evening goes.

Auryn, if you have time that'd be lovely. I'm compare it to the two recipes I have already. Maybe I'll try a couple. If all else fails, then maybe I can freeze the extras and use them at Christmas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%