Sheet Cake Layer Question

Decorating By heysugar504 Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 10:40pm by icer101

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 6

I apologize for the newb question but I am making an 11x15 sheet cake for a baby shower at work. I really want it to look professional, and I am stuck on one thing... one layer or two?!?!?

Do you guys normally make one layer and torte, or do you normally make 2 layers, or one layer and frost, or what? You see how this can boggle the mind of a newbie.

icon_biggrin.gif

TIA

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 6

I can vary. How many servings do you need? By doing a two layer it will double the number of servings. If you don't need a ton of servings then I'd just do a single layer and torte it.

heysugar504 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 6

It's for about 25 people. She wanted the serving size to be about 2.5 x 2.5. In that case, I will probably go with the torting option. Thanks so much for the tip!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 6

if they want to pay me for 2 layers. i,ll make 2 layers. but all my 9x13. 11x15. 12x18 is one layer. if they want filling and all people don,t , then i torte and fill. if they say no. filling, i don,t torte and fill. they pay for what they ask for. my rectangular cakes are professional , not the walmart look. it depends on what they want on top and all deco's is what i will cost them. hth i use anything from b/c, chocoalte modeling paste, g/p. , fondant ,etc. to decorate and i charge accordingly. No walmart look. look at thanh thanh , a c/cer . look at her cakes on this site. beautiful. no walmart look. lol!!!

heysugar504 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks icer101. I guess what you're saying is, it all depends on what they are willing to pay for. It would make more sense just to ask her what she is looking for. I am making a jungle theme with FBCT. I will post pics once it's done.

This site and everyone on it rock!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 6

yes, ask her what she is exactly wanting you to do. and talk price then. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%