Do I Dare...

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm by tj3239

TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm thinking about what desserts to make for Thursday. Since I try to do something chocolate I thought maybe I'd attempted another Chocolate Meringue Pie. The last time I made one I swore I'd never do it again. I don't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure it involved a melt down in the kitchen, my mother saying "if it were me," and "I usually" and there could have been some pms emtions involved. It probably ended with me saying fine then you make it next time.

Maybe it is time to try again, plus I know alot of the family likes it, so maybe there will be less left overs. Does anyone have any pointers, tips, tried and true methods for Chocolate Meringue Pies? I'm looking up recipes right now, but I think I just need some moral support, to remind me I can do it. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
poohsmomma Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 8

My crust and filling are great, and i would be happy to share those recipes with you. My problem is the meringue;it shrinks and gets weepy. I have tried everything and would love a fool-proof tip for that.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 8

I've love to see them please. icon_smile.gif

From what I understand the meringue can be tricky.

Awent9 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 8

i think you need a lot of sugar and some cream of tartar to keep them stable... just guessing though

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 8

I went by my mom's and got the recipe she has been using for years. Let's hope that being in my kitchen alone will give me the results I am hoping for. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 8

I don't know--I'm tossing out an idea--might be a dumb idea.

Can you just blow torch the meringue? To brown it?
I don't know--just sounds like fun to me. icon_lol.gif

And I'm sure you know that meringue is sposed to cover the filling really well--no gaps.

Me? I'd use whipped cream-- icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck!!!!!

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 8

This is one of the favorite pies of the guy's in my family, so they'd be dissappointed if I did whipped cream instead of the meringue.

As far as the blow torch, I'm just gonna imagine the time in the oven cooks the eggs, since I have issues with thinking about raw eggs in things. And if it doesn't, please don't tell me.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/tips/tipslibrary/baking-tips/meringue-pies

I came across the above link yesterday after posting that gives tips, so maybe it will help others. I did know you have to make sure you spread the meringue all the way to the edge to seal it and keep it from shrinking. Now the doing it on a dry, non humid day, that could be a challenge.

tj3239 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 8

I have a recipe that was givin to me by a dear friend several years ago. It might sound crazy but it is a recipe (from scratch) that you cook in the microwave! I do not have the recipe here at work with me but would be glad to post it when I can. I tried making chocolate pies several times before getting this recipe and just could not make it work, this one however has NEVER failed me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%