Best Selection Of Wilton Supplies - Michaels Or Hobby Lobby?

Decorating By GeorgiaC Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm by Occther

GeorgiaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaC Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

I live in an area where Michaels is about 30 miles away east of me and Hobby Lobby is about 40 miles away west of me. Which store, in general, has the best selection?

5 replies
ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 6

I tend to go back and forth. I find some Wilton items at Michael's that aren't at Hobby Lobby and vice versa. The other day I happened to go to Joann Fabrics in my area for cross stitching items and saw they also sell Wilton items and they had things I didn't remember seeing at the other places. For the basics, they all seem to have a good supply and are also price comparable - in my area anyway. And there are many things that neither have and I just go on-line and what a huge world that is!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranae5463

The other day I happened to go to Joann Fabrics in my area for cross stitching items and saw they also sell Wilton items and they had things I didn't remember seeing at the other places.

So far, I have to agree with ranae5463 about Joann Fabrics. There are 3 craft stores within 4 miles of where I live, Joann, Michaels, and AC Moore. Joann definitely has the largest selection of Wilton products.

While we do have a Hobby Lobby about 30 miles away, I have not yet been there to make a comparison. I passed the store on Saturday, and the building is huge, so I would guess they have, at least, as much as Joann has.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 6

Where I live, Michaels has a bigger selection. But Hobby Lobby carries things, outside the Wilton brand, that Michaels doesn't.

Since I teach at Michaels, I'm there several times a week, so I do must of my shopping there. I only go to Hobby Lobby, not too far from my Michaels if there is something I really want and Michaels doesn't have it. I hate getting out of HL's parking lot, so I avoid it.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Where I live, Michaels has a bigger selection. But Hobby Lobby carries things, outside the Wilton brand, that Michaels doesn't.

That's the case where I live, too. I tend to go to Michael's almost exclusively; there is one 10 minutes from me. There's a Joann's and a Hobby Lobby about 25-30 minutes away. I find Joann's pricier than the other 2 and dislike HL's policy of being closed on Sunday. I was at my mother's this weekend and she is 10 minutes from all 3. I stopped in at Joann's and their Wilton fondant was 20.99 and Michael's was 19.99. I now have pretty much all the tools and such that I need from a craft store so I usually just buy fondant and other consumables. Walmart has some Wilton products, too.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 6

I think a lot depends upon the store - and probably who teaches their classess. There are two Hobby Lobbies and two Michaels - plus lots more Joann's in our area. The diversity of supplies varies at each location.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%