How Do You Stay Organized?

Decorating By DisneyDreamer Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 2:12am by Scarlets-Cakes

DisneyDreamer Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 10

after years of being scattered everywhere and unorganized my mom and step dad added a pantry onto the house just for my cake stuff well i have a room and a big tool chest and still cant get organized. my mom was so happy to get my stuff out of the kitchen thats its all thrown in there and i dont know where to even start. any tips???

9 replies
mommakabob Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

Who said I was organized??? Haha! I definitely don't have any tips, my stuff is all over the place all the time!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 10

Containers with like items.

I'm still working on ogranizing myself. I've learned that some things sound great in theory but aren't always practical. I'd start with dividing your stuff up into like groups, then look for containers, plastic bins, shelving units that would fit what you have.

PistachioCranberry Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Containers with like items.

I'm still working on ogranizing myself. I've learned that some things sound great in theory but aren't always practical. I'd start with dividing your stuff up into like groups, then look for containers, plastic bins, shelving units that would fit what you have.

I agree. One baby step at a time.

cakecraft Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 10

I cake out of my home kitchen, so my dedicated cake storage space is pretty small: I have an island with storage below, shelves for cake pans and a double door pantry for all other things cake. I do what TexasSugar said: group like items.

My pantry unit has storage on the doors the perfect size for gel paste colours....love how they are all lined up, easy to find!

On the top shelf I keep all of my food items...chocolates, cocoas, pudding mixes, containers with sprinkles and dragees, oreos and candy bars for fillings etc.

On the second shelf I keep a clear tote with all of my cookie cutters inside, bagged by season or theme. Another clear tote houses all of the necessities for ANY cake: spatulas, lg and small rolling pins, pizza cutter and my ateco tools, fondant smoothers etc. This I grab and put on my counter when I get started on a cake, saves me from having to gather everything every time.

Things in containers are stacked up (tip cases, extruder, alphabet cutters etc.) I lay my impression mats flat on top.

The other shallow door shelves have wire & cutters, flower centres, any little bagged doodads that would be rumpled or lost anywhere else.

The bottom shelves hold buckets of fondant, huge sack of icing sugar etc. My most used items are at eye level and easy to see/reach.

My best advice is to figure out how you use stuff and oraganize accordingly. It has taken me some time to figure out my own system icon_smile.gif

Best of luck! Just keep thinking about how lucky you are to have a blank slate space ALL FOR CAKE!!

Sarahbearah Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 10

I have been working on getting organized myself.. It takes time, after so long you just have so much stuff that its hard to keep organized. But I try and keep all the smaller stuff in certain areas.. I started with organizing all the small stuff frist and moving up from there.. Baby steps work wonders....!

MissLisa Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 10

One of the biggest space savers I have in my cake room is my vertical pan storage. My hubby built me a cabinet so I can nest all my pans and store them vertically. The top of the cabinet is also usable space, I have my pasta roller mounted on it as well.

Keep the stuff you use most often the closest to hand. Depending on how many decorating tips you have, consider getting one of those little square boxes full of drawers and hang it on the wall.

Rather than take up shelf space with things like cookie cutters, I have strips of 1X2 wood with dowels in them to hang my cutters on, they are way up near the ceiling as I don't use them often, but they are still handy yet out of the way.

I also have a couple of those rolling stacks of drawers. Cutters, molds, veiners all have their own drawer. I also have a drawer just for florist wire, stamins, tape and such. Another one for what I refer to as my "flats" (patterns, templates, veining sheets, impression mats) And after realizing that I was spending a ton of time digging for tools or just the right brush, I separated them into two big coffee mugs. Tools in one and brushes into the other. Wow is it easier to find what I am looking for.

DisneyDreamer Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for letting me know im not the only one!!! Okay tonight i am going to get started. with Christmas right around the corner i need to be on the ball. im going to go through my pans tonight. shaped pans are such a pain in the ass to store. then little by little ill get there. ill show pretty photos once done

Navyempress Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:07am
post #9 of 10

I use these

http://www.michaels.com/Jetmax-Modular-Storage/sb0638,default,pd.html

I have 10 of them right now and will be getting many more. They stack all the way to the ceiling, if need be, and I love that they have so many different shapes and drawers to fit everything. I use the ones with 4 drawers to store cookie cutters separated by season, theme, etc. When I am working with gumpaste, I just pull out the gumpaste drawer and sit it on the counter.

They have these at Michaels and they are on sale all the time and I use coupons when they're not.

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:12am
post #10 of 10

I don't understand the question..... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%