I Need Cricut Cake Help :(

Decorating By aliciam Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 4:19am by sweetcakes

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 17

Hello everyone,

So I know there are already cricut cake subjects but I could not find what I was looking for so I thought I would start this.

I am in need of some serious cricut cake help. I am so fraustrated with this machine to the point that if I knew I could return this after trying it once I would take it back right this minute.
So I have tried using fondant for cutting and had no luck.
I tried using gumpaste no luck
I tried 50/50 fondant/ gumpaste no luck
I tried doing 50/50 and freezing for a few minutes as suggested no luck
I tried leaving gumpaste out a bit and ten cutting no luck
I also tried 2 different gumpaste recipes one was from cutting edge and still noluckicon_sad.gif

At this point I have no idea what to do.
I would love to be able to use this machine as I like what it can do but I have no idea what else to try for cutting. If anyone has a good recipe that will work for the cricut cake and wouldn't mind sharing that would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you have mastered this machine and I would love to know how you did it.

I look forward to hearing your responses icon_smile.gif and Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

16 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 17

hi, i have just got one this week end at micaels for $49.99. i am watching carrie biggers and the 2 sisters dvd on this . i got at ices convention. when you take it out of freezer(the only reason i see from them or linda mclure to put in freezer is to make up a lot, put on mats and freeze until you need them) but you leave on counter to dry out before using. it depends on where you live. dry clilmate leave out around 15 min. to dry some. moist climate, leave out around 30 min. to dry some. before cutting. they also show how to make the g/p, which is actually linda mcclure's recipe( close to it). so normally when you roll out the g/p on the mat, you just sat it aside for differnt lengths of times, until dry to the touch. not put in freezer unless you are wanting to put it up until you need it. linda mcclure cuts out all her designs and freezes the designs and they are ready for her when she needs them. this dvd is really good. but i have one from linda mcclure also with the cricut expression and now she has one with the sihloette. got to watch that one. i am so ready to play with this. i am seeing , with whatever medium you use. you have got to let it sat for a while to dry some. again , carrie suggest making the g/p that she is showing. linda mcclure has her recipe on her blog now also. that is the one i will be making to get ready for my NEW MACHINE. lol!!hope i have helped you some. many people have been frustrated, but given time for them to keep at it . they now love it.

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 17

For me, I found success by:

First smoothing shortening to the mat with my fingers to ensure an even coating that is neither to thick or thin

Then I add tylose to my Satin Ice fondant

Rollling out the fondant really thin

Transfer the rolled out fondant to the mat and continue rolling it out on the mat

For me, I really take my time rolling the fondant on the mat ensuring that it is very very incredibly thin - so thin that you can see the mat lines through the fondant - this step can take me around 20 minutes to get it as thin as possible.

Then I let my fondant sit on the mat for about a half hour before putting it in the machine.

Pressure = high, Speed = high

Once complete, I pull the extra fondant from around the shapes off the mat without removing my cutouts.

I then stick the mat with the cutouts on it in the freezer and let it get hard for 20 minutes before removing the cutouts from the mat.

I found that freezing my fondant before putting it through the machine made my fondant sticky and it didn't cut right. Also, slower speeds/thicker fondant seemed to cause the shapes to drag...

I hope that helps!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 17

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with it! When I got mine, I played with it as much as possible to figure out what worked best for me. I think it's different for everyone because of humidity, recipe of your material, etc. This is what I do, hopefully you can use some of this info:

* I rarely use fondant. I've found that it's too pliable to use, so most of my cricut cutouts are gumpaste. Every once in a while I'll do a 50/50 mix.

* I use a papertowel to put the shortening on the mat. You might hear that you're supposed to put a generous amount of shortening on the mat, but I've found that if it's too thick, the material will just slide around on the mat when it's being cut. So I actually wipe a layer on, and then run a dry papertowel over the mat to wipe off any excess.

* Then I roll my material out ON the mat. I squish it in my hand to get sort of flat, then put it on the mat & roll as thin as I can. I think rolling it on the mat squishes it into any of the grooves from previous cuts, and it keeps the material more stationary.

* I put my mat with the material in the freeze for a good 10-15 minutes. While it's in the freezer, I go thru the book and write down what selections I need to make, so I can get everything done fast when I pull the mat out of the freezer.

* Depending on where you live, the material may start to sweat - condensation forms on the material and it will get sticky. So, as soon as I pull it out of the freezer, I rub a little bit of cornstarch on the surface to absorb any condensation. If you don't do that, and the material becomes sticky, the blade will stick to it, and it may cause dragging.

As for the settings, I just use medium pressure and slow speed. But it all depends on what works for you. Don't give up! You just have to play with it a ton to figure out what works for you. There's a huge learning curve but it does work!! : )

Hope that helps!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 17

I use fondant & refrigerate it ti stiffen it up before cutting, works like a charm

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 17

i haven t had a problem with it once i started putting my fondant in the freezer. i don't like to use gumpaste for designs on the side of the cake bc it dries too hard. I use a little tylose in my fondant to make it a little "harder" or firmer. then i roll it out thin and stick it in the freezer for a few minutes. If i am using a cut with lots of tiny detail i brush with the tiniest bit of crisco. works great every time.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:47am
post #7 of 17

I have better luck using Fondarific fondant, modeling chocolate, or Satin Ice mixed with just a little Tylose. I roll my material out nice and thin and then transfer it to a greased cutting mat (and roll it again). The mat then goes in the fridge for 10 mins (or freezer for 5). I cut and then either immediately remove the cut pieces (using a small offset spatula) or I pop it back in the fridge for 5 mins. All my initial problems with the Cricut was with the thickness of the fondant.

Keep working with it, once I worked out the kinks, I love mine! I use it more monograms, logos, etc.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:53am
post #8 of 17

I roll out gumpaste and then pop it in the freezer 15 minutes, and then cut and it works great...check my last several cakes, I used it for those....hope this helps

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you everyone for your help, I will be trying these solutions out. fingers crossed icon_smile.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 17

I also recommend that the blade be cleaned after every cut. If even one tiny piece sticks to the blade it won't make clean cuts. I love my cricut cake but it did take a lot of practice

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 17

I've used it to make a stencil out of clear plastic to cut monogram stencils. Then I buttercream stencil the monogram onto fondant and gumpaste ovals to place on my wedding cakes.

Don't limit yourself to just cutting sugar mediums to place on cakes.

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 17

if you use high pressue doesn't it cut into your mat. Will those cuts interfere with what you are doing later? I too am struggling a little bit with my cricut. the med pressure doesn't always cut all the way through and then I'm stuck trimming by hand. But if I set it to high pressure it marks my mat. Should I not worry about the markings on the mat?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsweet2

I've used it to make a stencil out of clear plastic to cut monogram stencils. Then I buttercream stencil the monogram onto fondant and gumpaste ovals to place on my wedding cakes.

Don't limit yourself to just cutting sugar mediums to place on cakes.

this is one of the reasons i'm looking forward to it. I make quite a few stencils to use when air brushing on cakes and cookies.

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneusmcwife

if you use high pressue doesn't it cut into your mat. Will those cuts interfere with what you are doing later? I too am struggling a little bit with my . the med pressure doesn't always cut all the way through and then I'm stuck trimming by hand. But if I set it to high pressure it marks my mat. Should I not worry about the markings on the mat?

No need to worry about the marks - that is normal. It is recommended that you have a few mats and rotate your usage of them so that they last longer.

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:59pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you. I panicked when it started to mark my mat and lowered the pressure. I was afraid it would ruin it.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:24am
post #16 of 17

Im so happy you guys posted this!! I just ordered mine online and should be here by the end of the week. I'll be pulling this post to use as a reference. thank you to all who take their time to help out a cricut-challenged which im sure i will be.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:19am
post #17 of 17

walmart also sells white disposable cutting boards,in the cutting board aisle. they are a similar material and thickness to the cricut mat, you'l have to trim them to fit the machine and you wont have the markings on them but they work if you need extra mats. Fondant doesn;t stick to them and you dont have to grease or dust either, i like them just for rolling out on or for covering fondant that is already rolled and i dont want it to start to dry out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%