Any Ideas On How To Do A Standing Grenade Cake??

Decorating By teatime423 Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 3:30am by Lisabellemarie

teatime423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teatime423 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 8

I was asked to make one. I want to make it a foot tall but i'm not sure what size the cakes should be?? There will be about 40 to feed.

7 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:23am
post #2 of 8

Hrmm... well you could always use the wilton ball pan and carve it into a grenade - I can usually make 8-10 cupcakes with the left over batter from the ball pan.

The ball pan serves about 8-10 + cupcakes 8-10
You could make a batch of 24 cupcakes with fondant toppers ? HTH

Or worse case - don't do a 3D cake and get a 9x13 pan and carve it icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 8

I would make a grenade out of rkt cover it with fondant and linda make little squares in it to look like the outer shell of a grenade....and gumpaste for the clip....you know the finger lever thingy at the top....lol and i was in the Army in the 60s sheesh thats bad lol

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #4 of 8

I would make it out of two pieces -- each piece being a 7-7-8 inch, tapered to 6 inches. Add a few straws and a board for support, place the other tapered piece on top. Either drive a dowel through after assembled, or anchor your dowel to the base board first and slide the pieces over the dowel.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:57am
post #5 of 8

There is a basketball cake that I think is awesome and maybe you can carve it to look like a granade, you know using the same technique...here is the link http://blog.tinyprints.com/designs/a-basketball-themed-birthday-party/

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:14am
post #6 of 8

2 wonder molds?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 8

What about the Wilton egg pan cake? It's the exact shape. I used it for my Mr. Potato head Easter bunny cake. Just have a base cake so it will stand/have support -2 stacked 11X9's (feeds 30) and egg pan (feeds 10-15). Then that should feed 40 -45 I would rather do less carving and this is the closest shape!:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1628948

Then you can use a fairly thick layer of army green fondant and make a pattern of indents with the back of a butter knife to look like a grendade. The top part (trigger etc) can be made with fondant.

Good luck - please post photos after!

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:30am
post #8 of 8

I made a grenade cake for a birthday - it was 6 layers high, with a board and dowels after every two layers. It was 8 inch rounds for the first 4 layers, then a 7 & a 6, and I just rounded the top off a bit. Here's a link to the picture....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1422007.html

I carved the bottom in a bit, too, but THAT was a disaster - the weight of the cake kinda mushed it down (which is the reason for the big border at the bottom).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%