I Feel So Embarrassed! I Could Use Some Advice...

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 2:08pm by Dayti

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 31

This last weekend, we attended a talent show at our church and I brought some cakes for the culinary display. I received some really nice compliments on how they looked. At the end of the talent show, the cakes were cut and served. However, I was not able to be in the room because I was feeding my new baby. My husband told me later that a man came up to my husband while eating my cake and asked, "What IS this stuff?!" (indicating the fondant). He asked if he was supposed to eat it because he'd eaten about half of it and said it was like eating bubble gum.

I don't know why this embarrassed me so bad. I just don't want people to think I make gross food, you know? I feel like I should have made a huge sign to put next to the cake saying, "The decoration is fondant. It is edible - some people like it, some people don't. You can take it off if you want and eat the deliciousness underneath." icon_smile.gif

I guess I'm just feeling self conscious about it. But, really...what do you guys tell people? Do you just assume people know what fondant is like? Do you tell them how to cut it? Should it be necessary to warn people about parts of the food you make?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

30 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 31

I only explain what fondant is to the person buying the cake. And my response would have been, "Oh! That's fondant. I think it tastes like candy. Isn't it wonderful? And it's so beautiful! It's just the best thing ever!!"

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 31

If you put up a sign telling people they may not like it, you increase the chances that they won't. Why plant the seed?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 31

Great response Leah!

I only explain to the person buying the cake as well. I inform them that it's an aquired taste. Some people like it some dont, you have to chew it, ITS DELISH!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 31

I always wonder about this as well and also feel embarrassed!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 31

Whenever I use fondant (detail only) I always tell my customers, this so and so is fondant, its edible but most people just peel it away and that there is icing underneath it to eat.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 31

Oh shoot-- you haven't really lived until your pot luck dish has been thoroughly trash talked to your face by folks who weren't aware it was your dish.

Twice.

Two different occasions and two different dishes.

Expect people to not love fondant--it's weird.

letsgetcaking Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 31

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. I am really starting to feel much better about it now. I love the positive attitude you all have about it. I guess it's silly to be so sensitive over someone not liking a little part of my cake. I've eaten many cakes decorated with large buttercream roses. I like buttercream, but not enough to eat a whole buttercream rose. So, I always just leave those to the side. I never thought of that as being offensive...if you don't like it, don't eat it, right?

K8Memphis, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I would have wanted to reply, "Really? I thought it was delicious! That's why I made it." icon_lol.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Oh shoot-- you haven't really lived until your pot luck dish has been thoroughly trash talked to your face by folks who weren't aware it was your dish.

Twice.

Oh my goodness! Did you say anything to them?

I've been told once that fondant was gross, but that most people just peeled it off and ate the cake underneath. I haven't gotten one weird comment since I started making my own, though.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Twice.

If it just so happens we are ever at the same potluck, what dishes did you make? I want to be sure and stay away from them! icon_razz.gif LOL Those are rough crowds you hang with girl!

Start cooking for folks that will appreciate your talent.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 31

Fondant is a relatively new thing in the USA and many people just aren't used to it...give it 50 years or so and everyone will be used to it and know what it is icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I bet people don't ask this question in Europe and Australia, or other places where fondant has been used forever and everyone has grown up with it on cakes.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 31

When people ask me what fondant is I tell them it doesn't have a strong flavor and its just sweet. I also usually tell them that the texture is chewy. I find most people when they actually EAT IT (I think a lot of people think you cant) that they actually like it. I also make a point to tell clients that Fondant is essential to achieve certain looks and designs they might like.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:16am
post #13 of 31

I personally don't like the taste of fondant...but I also haven't started making my own yet, which I know tastes loads better than the store bought stuff. So I tell the person picking up the cake that though it is edible, just peel it off. Its the same with the gumpaste people. Though they are edible I am not going to be cutting the arms and legs off and serving them as dessert. LOL. Edible yes, yummy not so much.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #14 of 31

I don't like the taste and I've tried most of the brands. I tell people they can eat it if they want, or peal it off like orange rind and throw it away.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #15 of 31

I only like MFF and mmf. All the bought ones taste like a chemical. IMO

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:15am
post #16 of 31

I've made my own and think the taste is ok (white chocolate is pretty good I admit) but for me it's a texture thing. I like soft, creamy buttercream on my cake, I don't like chewy fondant. It's my opinion and I don't expect everyone to share it. icon_smile.gif My family LOVES fondant!

I did a wedding cake for a friend once that had fondant ribbons around the base of each tier and it was kind of funny to watch people. Some would pull the fondant off the cake and some wouldn't. I had a line of kids standing next to the cake table accosting the guests for their fondant. icon_biggrin.gif I enjoyed that part! One kid ate so much I thought for sure he was going to slip into a sugar coma by the end of the reception! (He was about 11 and seemed to handle it just fine!)

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:16am
post #17 of 31

Off the main topic, but my mom was at a very small potluck event and someone else at the table claimed she made the dessert that my mom brought. You wouldn't think a person would do this when it would be so easy to get caught in their fib. But it was complimentary to my mom that people liked it enough that someone wanted to claim it as their own.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:40am
post #18 of 31

Well I personal hate the taste and the texture of fondant regardless of bought or homemade and so do 99% percent of my customers. People love the smooth fondant look just not the taste. I have had people who are sure they want a fondant cake but have no idea what it taste like, and when I give them a sample they usually spit it out or ask for something to drink. I use fondant for detail but most all my cakes are buttercream. And they really like fondant less when they find out it is double the price. That's pretty much the story in Alabama anyway.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:53am
post #19 of 31

What a great response Cakerator. I like it, and I am gonna use that one.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:22am
post #20 of 31

I was embarrassed at a wedding when a little boy came up to me as I was cutting and told me that the cake tasted gross. He said that chewy stuff was weird. Several people heard him, I was so embarrassed.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:18am
post #21 of 31

Toptier is right most of our cakes are decorated with fondant or sugarpaste as we call it over here and all the ones you buy in supermarkets are decorated with it as well. The only one I like is the white chocolate one the rest I peel off.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:02am
post #22 of 31

I'm in Australia and I would say that most people are familiar with fondant. Those who like it, eat it, those who don't just peel it off. I would say that fondant is pretty much expected on any big occasion cake.
Personally I like it. The brand commonly used here is Orchard - I confess I havent tried any others so I have no idea how it compares to the brands often mentioned on this forum.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:16am
post #23 of 31

im in australia and most people i know and make cakes for have no idea what fondant is! lol. they just peel it off, no problem for me.. i dont like it myself.. i just think it looks better. =D

but then most people here arnt accustomed to the amount of buttercream used either. especially on cupcakes... we call it icing and its usually just a thin smear on the top and maybe some around the sides if its a celebration cake. Its very rare to use a filling too; although i always do, its funny i always ask what flavor some one wants and have to explain i do fillings and what could be used as a filling. =) IF fillings are used, its usually jam and cream bewteen sponge cake; but thats just called a jam and cream sponge.

its funny the differences between countries...

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:21am
post #24 of 31

My kids (and other kids, I've noticed) love the stuff, and I buy Satin Ice. Personally, I don't care for it, but it's fun to work with. But the kids, if it looks cool or pretty they can't get enough of it. The camping cake I made I was shocked because all the kids at the party at all the pieces I let them, and they were begging for more! They just thought it was soo cool! Go figure.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:19am
post #25 of 31

I always tell people that they can peel off the fondant and they won't have to worry about insulting me by not eating everything on their plate.

Dh's family has prepped me plenty for negative comments. I have one SIL who *always* has some negative comment about my cakes. She has gone so far as to march up to me with her plate and point out a color variation between crumbcoat and icing with her fork (I used a touch more vanilla one time and it made one batch a little more yellow), and she'll announce things like, "this is way too sweet!" or "the fondant is GROSS!" in a loud voice.

Honestly, strangers have nothing on dh's family!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:33pm
post #26 of 31

I use fondant on most of my cakes and I do explain that I don't care for the fondant but that is what makes the cake look good and if they don't like it they can peel it off. My son loves the fondant. He actually takes the extra pieces I have, rolls them out to look like cheese and puts it on bread with a lot peanut butter. Yuck! He's a teenager, lol.

~Kim

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:58pm
post #27 of 31

I have the "fondant" issues all the time. I put it in my FAQ section on my website -- here's what I wrote:

What do you think of fondant? Does it taste bad?
Fondant is an amazing product that is great to work with. When it is used to cover an entire cake, it provides a smooth and elegant appearance. It's also great for making decorations and adornments, along with sugar flowers. However, fondant does seem to have a bit of a bad reputation. Personally, I dont think it's the taste of fondant that bothers people as much as it is the texture.

Traditionally, cake is iced in buttercream and we are all accustomed to that. Fondant, however, is still a foreign substance to a lot of people so it's second nature to baulk at it. My advice: dont knock it until you try it. As far as the taste, some fondants do taste better than others. Rule of thumb: the better the quality, the better the flavor. I have made my own fondant, but for convenience sake, I prefer to work with Satin Ice® and Fondariffic®. I use mostly vanilla or buttercream flavors which taste like a cross between marshmallow and vanilla Tootsie Rolls®. Fondariffic® also comes in a variety of other flavors if you're game for it.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:30pm
post #28 of 31

I tell them it is fondant and that it is a 'European' frosting and for some reason that makes people more willing to give it a chance. icon_lol.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:48pm
post #29 of 31

I'm loving reading everyone's experiences and responses to the fondant questions you get. As for myself, I don't like eating fondant along with the cake. However, I think it is delicious on sugar cookies! I think it's a texture thing - because the cookie is chewy, too.

What is it with kids? My children love it, as well. My three-year-old daughter actually eats only the fondant (always leaves the cake alone), then asks for more fondant!

It's just funny that some people have such strong (and loud) reactions to the fondant if they don't like it.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #30 of 31

Well, in Germany (which is definitely a part of Europe icon_smile.gif ) 95 % of the population have no idea what fondant is. Another 2-3 % only know the liquid version. So I ALWAYS have to explain. But the up side is that people eat it, I hardly see anyone peeling ist off. Granted I tweak mine to make it less sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%