What's Best Used For Making Figurines For A Cake?

Decorating By a_twist_of_cake Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm by SweetTreatstoEat

a_twist_of_cake Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 5

I am a self-taught cake decorator and am experiencing difficulty when making fondant characters. My most recent cake was an Alvin and the Chipmunks cake and I wanted to make the chipmunks standing on the top of the cake, playing their instruments. As I started making their bodies, I found that the fondant kept drooping and the bodies looked fat. I ended up changing the design of my cake to accomodate the difficulties I was having. I am wondering what I can add to the fondant to help it firm up or if I should use modelling chocolate?? I tried making modelling chocolate once and didn't like the texture. It was very waxy and hard to work with.

4 replies
sacakesandbakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:10am
post #2 of 5

I too am self taught. I use marshmellow fondant and add tylose powder to the fondant. It will turn it into gumpaste. The tylose should help it dry faster, harder, and more resistant to moisture. I have made animals, monsters, and Dora & Diego. When making the figures I made the body seperate from the head. I let the body & head dry overnight before adding the head to the body. Youtube has some videos on how to make serveral figures. Hope this helps.

Coral3 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:17am
post #3 of 5

I use fondant with a bit of gum tragacanth powder mixed in.

poohsmomma Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

Just a little tylose powder will help your fondant set up.

SweetTreatstoEat Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 5

I use the gum paste in the can, it is powder all u add is water and some powdered suger.... works great, and drys hard so your characters don't droop and sag.....alot better then using fondant ...... we made Mario characters, turkeys and pumpkins, we even did Nightmare before Christmas, came out great.... Hope this helps...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%