Confectioners Glaze And How To Unstick Myself?

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 3:33am by Cakegirl313

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 7

So I bought some confectioners glaze to add to my gumpaste pieces to make them shinney. It went on just fine but now my hands and brush are super sticky and I can't get rid of it. How do I unstick everything!!!!!!

6 replies
Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:07am
post #2 of 7

I have read that I need the thinner but what to do if I don't have that. HEEEEELLLLPPPPPP!

caki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caki Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 7

I have had the same result when trying to use confectioner's glaze. After trying soap and water and even some nail polish remover, I threw the brush away. A mixture of equal parts corn syrup and vodka works great to making gum paste and fondant pieces beautifully shiny. It is also inexpensive, easily washes off of hands and brushes, dries firm to the touch, and is not sticky at all.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:14am
post #4 of 7

i too had severely under-estimated the stickiness of confectioner's glaze and did not buy thinner. will washing it with vodka work? i've thrown away many cheap paintbrushes using this stuff...

Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 7

Well I hadn't thought about washing it with vodka but I will go try that right now. Thanks!!! I will let you know.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:22am
post #6 of 7

hmm... the ingredients on the thinner bottle img says acetate and acetone before listing alcohol. sounds heavy duty. next time i'm at my local cake store i'll have to remember to get some.

Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:33am
post #7 of 7

Well I tried the vodka and that didn't work. And as far as the thinner having acetone in it, WOW I didn't even know that would be food safe! I know it doesn't go right on the food but I would be using the brush again. I do think I will use some acetone on my hands though! Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%