Starting Home Business, What Brands Should I Be Looking For

Business By ConfectionsCC Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 3:13am by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 9

I am wondering...if I am going to start getting some of my ingredients wholesale, which brands should I get? Right now I use White Lilly flour, Ghiradelli (SP?)cocoa and chocolate, I know I can get my Domino sugar wholesale and in bulk..but are those other brands even available at wholesale and in bulk sizes? What do the long-time pros use? I started using Satin Ice fondant a few month ago and LOVE IT but the other things I have not had a chance to try yet. I need help with this! There are so many brands! I need sugar, flour, high-ratio shortening...well you guys know!

8 replies
CocoaBlondie Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 9

I go to sam's club for most of my bulk ingredients. I do love sweetex hi-ratio shortening, but you can't get that at sams. I get sweetex at a local cake supply store here in PA. You can buy it at global sugar art to.

ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 9

I am not a sams club member, but I do go to a kitchen supply store that has most of the sugars and shortening, but its not wholesale cost, its still retail...Its like sams without the membership fee!

homebasedbaking Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

Hello ConfectionsCC,

I will give you a few wholesales and you can call and see what distributors are in your area. Listed are the name of the company, the website and toll-free number. Hope this is helpful. Remember some distributors may want you to purchase larger quantities, so consider going in with another home-based baker if possible. You may not benefit from all these wholesales but just cut and paste and keep them as a resource.

Bay State Milling

AB Mauri

Stratas Foods
Sweetex® - Cake and Icing Shortening

Bakery Crafts

Gosh, I could go on and on, just let me know specifically what ingredients/supplies you're looking for?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 9

Maybe call a restaurant in your area and see where they get thier stuff. You might not be able to get it delivered--you might have to go pick up your supplies depending on your volume but you should be able to save shipping and get what you need locally--or make one big trip a month or something.

kaylynndo Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 9

how about Restaurant Depot? i go there and they're pretty cheap. Check and see if they have it in your area

ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #7 of 9

Wow, thanks, yes that helps! As far as flour goes, I have only tried what is available in my local grocery store and walmart, both name brands and store brands, and my favorite from those is White Lilly, but I have not be able to try what most bakeries might use (that why I am asking for a pro's advice on best cake flour) I know I want to stick with Domino sugar, I am thinking sweetex will be my pick for shortening, hearing a lot of people use it...what else could I be leaving out..hmm oh the chocolate...I love the flavor and texture of the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder, walmart sells the semi-sweet chocolate chips, but only one store sells that brand coco and its not only a 40 min. drive, but they are very over priced! I need to figure out how to order their chocolate wholesale.....hoping I can start getting things cheaper once I am a real official bakery icon_smile.gif

homebasedbaking Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 9

Confections CC

Here are three suppliers of chocolate, I think I have provided these before:
* Auiswiss
* International Gourmet
* Qzina

I will share another tip about purchasing wholesale when you are just starting out. You might want to make friends with a local baker or restaurant owner you are not in competition with and ask if they might be willing to purchase additional product from them, this can get a bit sticky with who pays taxes considering this is a resale, but check with your tax accountant. Again you may also want to locate another baker and see if they will go in half in buying know is a good place to start. Please let me know how everything turns out and pm me if you need.

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 9

kaylynndo, Try googling some of the equipment and stuff, you may find things cheaper! I am comparing prices right now, and I am finding things much cheaper and with free shipping!! To the responses that recommended finding a baker friend...I have a friend whose mom owns a cafe/deli, and has plans of expansion to a full on bakery with breads and everything in the first quarter of next year. She is BEGGING me to come work for her, but with two small kids, its out of the question, not to mention its a 40 min drive! She has offered to help me with the wholesale items, but I am worried she might expect me, or think she can talk me into working for her bakery instead of owning my own...She seems sweet, but I just met her... we will see what the future holds for that situation icon_smile.gif But it is normal or okay to use her supplier?

Quote by @%username% on %date%