Where Do I Begin For Cake Competion.

Decorating By Cake_farmer Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 1:19am by ClassyCat

Cake_farmer Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:37am
post #1 of 3

I have a strange Cake Competition situation. I would love some help.

About 6 years ago I took a Wilton class and had fun, but one of my friends decided it was very cool and got really into decorating. She now has a small business making cakes, and lots of cool sculpted pieces. She does 2-4 cakes a week, plus cupcakes.

Me I had not picked up a piping bag in years.

She asked if I would be her partner in a timed cake challenge. I said sure if she got picked. Well she was! Now I have a couple months to get good enough at this not to make fools of us both.

Right now we are working on designs so don't know exactly what we will be making. When I do I can practice those exact things. In the meantime I am trying to work on basic skills.

What do you think I should focus on? Right now I am working on basic piping with royal icing.

What else?

2 replies
hollyberry91 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #2 of 3

I think the number one thing to work on would be icing a cake as smooth as possible and covering cakes with fondant as smooth as possible. I think the number one thing that matters in a competition is to have smooth clean looking work. Sometimes you can beat more complex cakes if your is done the cleanest. Other than that i would say keep practicing techniques you will be using in your design like flower making or figure making or whatever is in your theme. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

ClassyCat Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 3

Sounds like a lot of fun!! Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with hollyberry that a clean cake is going to catch the judges eye more than a fancy cake that isn't done properly. I'm not sure what type of cake you're friend is planning to attempt, but I'd find out and just focus on the aspects that will benefit her cake (flowers, 3D figures, lace, molds, etc).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%