Patent Leather Shoe

Decorating By flowers40 Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 7:00am by cr8zchpr

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 9

I have a patent leather shoe to do, and I want to get that shine that the real patent leather has. I thought about purchasing the lacquer spray, but found it to be quite expensive. I also considered the steaming technique. Does anybody have a sure fire way to get that shine on a gumpaste patent leather shoe. I don't want to try to paint on confectionary glaze, because it dries too fast and creates streaks and bald spots.

8 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 9

I used 50/50 corn syrup and vodka on my wine bottle in my pics and it worked great. It took a while to dry so next time I'll try 40/60 syrup to vodka so it dries faster. It was easy and cheap. I just painted it on with a pastry brush. Can't wait to see you shoeicon_smile.gif

flowers40 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Webbitz, I appreciate you taking the time to reply and help me out. I will try a test run on it a see how it works.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 9

Gum arabic and water brushed on. Order from Global Sugar--it's a coupla bucks. Patent leather easy peasy.
I prolly have a picture somewhere...I'll brb if I score.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 9

Now this particular shoe was also dusted with cocoa to tone it down so it looked vintage. I wanted to show the two different leathers. Don't mind the weird top and pardon that charming background--this was in progress and not eaten!

You can click on it if you want and the picture will get bigger.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #6 of 9

spray with pam cooking spray for a shining look

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 9

All I do to get a shiny patent leather look is paint the shoe with black gel paint mixed with a little water and a little syrup...really easy and really shiny and dries really well icon_biggrin.gif I hope this helps

flowers40 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:12am
post #8 of 9

Thanks ever one for your advice, I really do appreciate it!

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:00am
post #9 of 9

I just used pipping gel thinned down a bit with vodka on the "Chanel" bag, worked really well...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%