Airbrush Recommendations & Suggestions For Horror Film C

Decorating By CakingGirl Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 6:41am by Mac

CakingGirl Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I've had a request to make a realistic scary cake, like one for a horror movie. There needs to be a knife, perhaps something that looks like cuts in flesh. Maybe a gun, handcuffs and duct or electric tape. This is a whole different approach than I've ever taken. All of my cakes are cute, cozy, cartoonish and kid like.

Trying to figure out where to start. Plan on using fondant and gumpaste. I don't have an airbrush and am thinking I have to get one in order to do this. Can anyone suggest a reliable one that is not cost prohibitive?

Also, I'm thinking the fondant should look textured like dirt. I may include an edible image (which I've also never done). I need to have this ready by December 11th.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Phew...I'm tired just thinking about it. Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!

Thanks so much. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
CakingGirl Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 6

Are either of these airbrush systems any good?

or what about "Geraldine's Airbrust System" on this page??

Or what system would you recommend?

tesso Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 6

i love this place

great service and will answer all questions.

JanetBme Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:30am
post #4 of 6

the Grex compressor looks good- I saw it demo'd and it is really quiet. It is a variable one so it comes on when you spray. They have several brushes too- I don't personally like the handle trigger on the one- but if you haven't airbrushed, it would be great. It is a really good brush. They even offer all the adaptors in case you want to use another brush with it. (the Paasche Talon is one of the best brushes and has a cover for the cup) So I think that would be the optimal set up. I used to say the KK compressor was the best- but their customer service sucked for me- so I wouldn't get another one if ya gave it to me.

CakingGirl Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:13am
post #5 of 6

Thank you both so much for your help! There are so many choices, you have given me a lot of great information to go by and I really appreciate it!!

Mac Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:41am
post #6 of 6

I got mine from Creative Cutters (Geraldine Randlesome)...small but powerful and easy to use...$130. I have a couple of friends that have the big $400 jobber from KopyKake and they wished they had mine. And it has a filter on it to keep moisture out of the line so you don't getting any "spitting".

Quote by @%username% on %date%