Having Trouble With Square Cakes...

Decorating By pnnllj Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 10:14pm by Dayti

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 7

I need some help, I know I must be doing something wrong. When I ice my square cakes I have trouble with the corners. The frosting either pulls away or won't stick for some reason. I tried thinning the frosting down a little and that didn't seem to help, I'm afraid of getting it too thin. I've tried the long spatula, the short one, it's just so frustrating. I can frost round cakes all day but it take me all day to frost a square one. I can never get a nice corner, they are bumpy and just ugly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! icon_sad.gif

6 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

I was told on here to get a bench scrapper from the hardware store and when you frost the corners go from the corner in. Works everytime for me now.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 7

be sure to build up your icing on the corners. then use a spatula or bench scraper to scrape from the corners toward the center all the way around.be sure to have enough icing on the whole cake also. put a lot on, scrape away. also be sure your icing is not too stiff. not really thin, i make mine a good soft medium, so it spreads nicely.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7

I highly recommend Sharon's Perfecting the Art of Buttercream.
http://sugaredproductions.com/_product_85116/buttercream_dvd

It's one of my best cake investments and I watch pretty much everytime I do a BC cakeicon_smile.gif she has a great section on square cakes.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks wabbitz!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnnllj

... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! icon_sad.gif

My suggestion is to use regular spreading consistency icing and ice your cake like icer101 said where you overload it and then remove it to reveal the smoothly iced cake beneath.

However right before you start removing and revealing take a piping bag with an open coupler or a big tip and pipe a big fat line of icing up each corner--make sure it attaches to the icing on each side--two strokes on each corner --then take your smoother and reveal the pretty cake underneath. That ensures there's enough icing built up on the corner.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7

Apart from what has already been suggested, you could take a look at this article: http://cakecentral.com/articles/109/how-to-frost-a-square-cake She holds a spatula against the corners and ices up to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%