Quick Help With Hershey Recipe (Mixers Going)!!!!

Baking By lolobell Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 8:13pm by mombabytiger

lolobell Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there everyone!

Some kind person on CC recommended i use the Hershey Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe for cupcakes..since i have a heck of a time getting my recipe to stop sinking in the middle....

my quick question is this:

can i add chocolate chips to the recipe without a problem???? the person who wants these loves my original recipe which have chocolate chips????

12 replies
brincess_b Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 13

dont see why not, helps to coat them in flour first. i would fold them in by hand rather than the mixer tho.

lolobell Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 13

thanks so much! i'll give it a go!

vicki3336 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 13

lolobell, how did the cupcakes turn out with the chocolate chips? Did they sink to the bottom? Did you use regular or mini chips?

lolobell Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 13

oh, it was a bomb!!! although i did coat them in flour...the hershey recipe is sooo thin, they just sank.... icon_sad.gif

not to mention, i wasn't a fan (nor was my DH and 4 year old) with the taste of that recipe...

need a winner chocolate cupcake recipe pronto!!

mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah, that batter is too thin for chocolate chips. I agree, I don't like them in cupcake form, but as a cake....NUMMY!!!!!

nannykaren Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 13

There is a chocolate cupcake recipe on bakedecoratecelebrate.com that sounds good. Haven't tried it but it is under the cake recipes.

Ambar2 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 13

Its weird cause this is the only recipe I use as far as chocolate cake or cupcakes, and I've never had a problem. I wonder what it could be, It is a very runny batter but they come out so soft and moist! huh

cakesbydina Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:59am
post #9 of 13

I use this recipe for my business because it's moist and foolproof. I wouldn't add chips to the batter that thin though. I don't see why it would taste different in cupcake form or cake form...is there a difference?

Jenniferkay Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 13

with this recipe I never get a nice dome...I've done all the tricks. It'll work if the batter is a day old! But I don't have time for that, and it's just plain aggravating if I want to throw some cupcakes in the oven.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:43am
post #11 of 13

i have to say i am not a fan of the hersheys recipe. i had always used the helmans mayo choc cake until i started making the denser mud choc cakes. now i use those for just about all my choc recipes. if u dont wanna go the mud route, try the hellmans. its not too dense, nice choc flavor, and holds up to layering well.

HeyWife Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:10am
post #12 of 13

I know this is late but for future reference....I cut the baking soda and baking powder down to 1 tsp each in this recipe and the sinking stopped.

mombabytiger Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 8:13pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the tip about the baking soda/powder. I use this recipe all the time and it very rarely sinks, but still good to know.

This is the recipe I use for my pro cuppies. I make the batter in large quantities and then put into large squeeze bottles for ease of distribution. If I put the bottles in the fridge for about an hour, the batter rises higher and is also much easier to put in the cupcake wrappers.

If you make a lot of cupcakes, the squeeze bottle is the way to go. Or piping bag for thicker batters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%