Homemade Fondant Is Too Soft

Baking By graciesj Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 10:03am by GenGen

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 22

Hi ladies,
I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I had wedding yesterday and figured I would put the cake together this morning for delivery at 12p.m.
now that I've started, my fondant is way too soft. it rolled nicely BUT WHEN I GO TRY TO PICK IT UP IT BREAKS. I CANNOT EVEN ROLL IT ON THE ROLLER TO PUT ON THE CAKE.
NOW I NEED HELP. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN PUT IN MY HOMEMADE MMF TO FIX IT???????????
PLEASE WITH URGENCY icon_smile.gif))(((((()_

21 replies
graciesj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 22

I'm sitting here crying ladies. Someone please suggest something. times a ticken' thank-you xo

graciesj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

I'm sitting here crying ladies. Someone please suggest something. times a ticken' thank-you xo

can i add some tylose?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 22

I haven't used MMF in a long time, so I'm probably not much help, but I would take a small amount of the fondant and try kneading some SIFTED powdered sugar into it to see if it would stiffin it. I use tylose all the time to add to my fondant when making figures, but never to fondant when covering a cake so I'm not sure about that.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 22

do you not have a store you can buy some at? either use it straight or mix it with your homemade.
dont think tylose will help. more ps might be the answer, or else more of whatever the ingredient is that makes it stretchy (i dont make mine, so i never remember whats what!)
good luck.
xx

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 22

i read where some add more p/s sugar. do not add tylose . that will make it into g/p. also i read that they add a few drops of glycerine. after adding more p/s. i do this when i make just regular fondant. not m/m fondant. it works. you got to stiffen it a little more with p/s , then add just a few drops of glycerine. are you rolling in on a mat with shortening on the mat to help get it to and on the cake. how are you rolling it out. maybe we can help more if we know that.

graciesj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 22

Oh ladies, I'm freaking out! okay, I'm adding more ps as I'm needing it and it seems to be working. It is so soft that it doesn't have a smooth affect to it. I'm going to be calm now and finish this beautiful cake the best that I can with what I have. I don't have glycerine, but I will the next time. No the store I usually buy my mmf is closed sun/mon so I'm on my own. My hubby's says that I'm over reacting but we all know that we are our own worst critics. So thank-you ladies and I'll post pics later this afternoon. Wish me luck!xoicon_smile.gifgracie

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 22

Knead in more powdered sugar and if you have some time to spare let it rest for and hour or so. MMF always has to rest to firm up after you have made it. Did you make this MMF this morning? If you did that is the problem. It has to rest preferably overnight. I make MMF all the time and I never use it freshly made because it is too soft and delicate. Hope this helps....

graciesj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 22

HI Alvarga,

No I made my MMF saturday morning and placed it in the freezer and took it out this morning. This was my first time making my own and am pleased with how it turned out. I will need to add more PS as I need it though. thank-you so much for your input.icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 22

you put it in the freezer? is this something you do all the time? i've always heard not to put it in the freezer. in fact years ago when i tried using wiltons i had put it in the freezer on a cake.. took it out and it melted off the cake. that could also be whats happening here.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 22

MMF keeps for a while on the counter. You are supposed to make it, let it sit out overnight, knead in more PS if needed and work with it. If you need to store it longer than a few days, you can refrigerate. Bring to room temp before using. I never put it in the freezer!

Hope you were able to get your cake completed. Good luck.

graciesj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 22

Thank-you for your input, GenGen & Elliespatycakeicon_smile.gif I misread the instructions( I wasn't supposed to freeze it!!!!oops) I will now for the next time,lolicon_smile.gif I don't need any for a few now, if I'm reading right I can keep it in my refrigerator? Thank-you againicon_smile.gifI will post pics 2morrow a.m.gracie

GenGen Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 22

if your not planning on using it for quite a while then yes you can refrigerate it. i myself keep it nice and tightly wrapped and in a ziplock bag and in a cool place aka the pantry. i use mine up with in a month or two so it is still good. to soften yours up- place the amount you need in the microwave for bout ten second intervals unless its a very small amount.

GenGen Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 22

when i make fondant for covering a cake i actually prefer to use mine as soon as its cool enough to go on a cake. its nice soft and pliable. if i use fondant thats been stored- i soften it up using the microwave. my hands couldnt take it if i didn't- plus it helps mix up better etc.

also for the fondant covering cakes- add a bit (tsp or two- you get to know how much you need- by feel after a time) by adding light corn syrup to it when you get ready to melt the marshmallows. after adding the melted marshmallow mix to the powdered sugar in your mixer-= with it being so soften and more moisture it most likely will use up the powdered sugar- more so then if you made your mmf w/o adding the syrup.

after mixing it will still be goopy and warm and almost unhandle-able (best word i could use to describe lol) so what i do is i pour it back in to the bowl i'd used to melt the marshmallows in since it still had plenty of melted crisco in it, to let the mmf cool down enough to handle/knead up.

the addition of corn syrup makes the fondant nice soft and pliable- and less tears and such to it when covering a cake. *

this method isn't preferable if your using fondant to make figurines with etc.

*edited to add: i've even added corn syrup to fondant made weeks/month ago and it helped soften it up quite nicely. i wasn't sure it would work till i tried it recently and was pleasantly surprised icon_smile.gif

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 22

Maybe it was still too hot when you started putting icing sugar in? The sugar will melt instead of thicken and then you'd end up with a soft, sticky mess. Letting it sit overnight also helps. Just for future attempts

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:01pm
post #16 of 22

if we can keep homemade mmf for up to 2 months...how long can we keep store bought rolled fondant then?

GenGen Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:32pm
post #17 of 22

i've heard of some folks keeping it nice and sealed and in th bucket it came in for even a year.. give or take, but dont quote me on it

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 22

i have mine since summer and they still look good but i am wondering whether to still use it? how do you know if they have gone bad? will there be mold?

GenGen Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #19 of 22

if there's mold its way bad lol. usually you can tell by smell and taste. anything made with sugar and crisco will give off a smell when it goes bad.

graciesj Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:23am
post #20 of 22

Hey ladies I just wanted you to know that I posted pics of this 1st time attempt thomas the train cake. You can see how the fondant looks so soft and fresh. I will def' let it set the next time, and not in the freezericon_smile.gif gsj

graciesj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:38am
post #21 of 22

I have kept store bought fondant for over 6months before. You're going to need it a little longer to bring it back to life. And it's worth it. My homemade MMF I've kept that for 1 month and it's great. I hope this helps to.

GenGen Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:03am
post #22 of 22

if its hard to knead- just stick it in the microwave for say like 10 second intervals. works great at getting it soft enough to knead up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%