Car Accident On The Way To Deliver The Cake :(

Decorating By pnnllj Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 11:34pm by JackiesCreations

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:51am
post #1 of 11

My husband (who has made every delivery with me) offered to deliver my simple stacked 3 tier cake today to a church 5 minutes away so I could take his mother shopping for him. With only two stops between here and there he gets into a rear ender. icon_cry.gif Thankfully no one was hurt and minimal damage to the cars, but my cake.... The tiers shifted on the plate and cracked the buttercream, at least the cake itself didn't crack. When he called I raced to the church and tried to fix it the best I could, I was in tears when I saw it. The brides mother came up twice and hugged me, father was all "now we have a funny story to tell" but they weren't going to tell the couple until afterwards what happened. I offered to refund their money and they said they wouldn't hear of it. I am going to send the couple a 'coupon' for a free anniversary cake. I feel terrible and I'm worried about what the wedding couple think. It was beautiful before the accident! I am wondering if I should send them a copy of the picture I took this morning before the cake left the kitchen so they can see it didn't start out so awful? icon_redface.gif

10 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:05am
post #2 of 11

Awww...this is always one of my greatest fears. Either getting into an accident or having to stop real fast. So glad the mother of bride was so understanding. I'm sure the bride understood that there was no way you could help it. (((HUGS))). Have a better evening.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:09am
post #3 of 11

Glad everyone was okay and that the bride's parents were understanding. I'm sure you did the best you could at fixing it! Did you happen to get the after-picture?

This is why I'd be so scared to have a business (if I ever became skilled enough). The anxiety of the cake arriving safely at the destination would kill me- especially after all that work went into it! I'm so sorry they didn't get to see the original icon_sad.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:13am
post #4 of 11

So sorry this happened to you. I am always holding my breath the whole way when I deliver a cake. Its hard to say what you should do, not sure how much damage was done, and how well you could fix it. Was the cake presentable, if not, I would definitely give a refund. They sound like really nice people, and I know that they said no, but I would refund the money, of course it all depends on how it looked.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:18am
post #5 of 11

Well with such lovely parents, I'm sure the bride will understand too. What nice people to be so sweet about it. I'd offer them a free anniversary cake too. Life happens, and the Father is right, now they have a story. Glad your DH was ok, but it does feel awful when all your hard work doesn't get to be enjoyed in all it's glory. Sorry this happened.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:21am
post #6 of 11

That was great they were so understanding! Happened to me once ... had to slam on my brakes and had my first slider. Ended up having to remove the bottom tier and serve a 3-tier instead of a 4-tier. Everyone was great about it when I explained what happened. I knocked off $200 (the value of the bottom tier) but they even still insisted on giving my staff a $200 tip (I did the catering, too).

Sometimes we need to encounter these kind of folks to reaffirm some of the reasons why we do this! thumbs_up.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:21am
post #7 of 11

So sorry that happened to you. Glad that everyone is ok. Good idea to send a coupon to the couple for a free anniversary cake.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:44am
post #8 of 11

Glad DH is ok! And what a wonderful family. I think there are still more good people in the world than 'zillas.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 11

Every cake bakers fear.......

I think since you offered something back, that is the most you can do. MOST people are understanding of an accident... That is why they are called accidents.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 11

Every cake bakers fear.......

I think since you offered something back, that is the most you can do. MOST people are understanding of an accident... That is why they are called accidents.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 11

Accidents happen and most people are understanding of that. The coupon for a complimentary anniversary cake is a wonderful idea! Similar thing happened to me with a cake, although it wasn't a wedding cake and was for my sister from me. The whole cake tipped over to the side as it was sitting on a cake stand which I placed in a box, but forgot to put a non slip grip mat underneath. The bow on top and all the spirals broke! icon_cry.gif Still managed to fix it, but I understand what you mean when all that hard work was put into it. Lesson learnt for next time xo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%